Miley Cyrus covers The Cure and The Cranberries

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/19/miley-cyrus-covers-the-cure-and-the-cranberries.html

1 Like

The last Miley Cyrus song I remember hearing – perhaps the only one – was “Wrecking Ball”.

Her style has … evolved somewhat. But I have to say, she rocks the whisky-and-cigarettes voice.

Also, and just out of curiosity: why does the bar’s name use British spelling?

1 Like

I thought she did a great cover of the Cure tune. Not expecting her voice to sound like that given what I remember, but it works, it definitely works. A little more ragged on Zombie, though, but her vocals on the verses at least started to remind me of the Miley stuff from long ago when the kids were into it.

4 Likes

Well, it took it’s name from the first discotheque, Whisky à Go-Go, in Paris, at least according to the internet tubes I just flowed down.

2 Likes

And what is this CBGB I have heard tell of?

1 Like

I do like the Cranberries cover. And her performance of Head Like a Hole in Black Mirror was the bomb.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s right, I’d forgotten about that. Yeah, that was excellent.

“Say Hello to Heaven” at the Cornell tribute:

She owns her Jolene cover pretty well, too.

1 Like

She’s a very talented singer, but I am not a big fan of her material–with exceptions like her cover of Jolene that you just posted. I would have picked another Cure song but I liked her version of Zombie.

Apropos of nothing, when she’s wearing that hat she reminds me of one of my wife’s aunts. This aunt lives in Flatwoods, KY, home of her father Billy Ray. Although she knew him, to my mild disappointment she never had any good stories.

3 Likes

Did she just…change the words to the chorus of Jolene?
Yeah, great voice, & I like its evolution, but…no. Don’t do that. “Just because you can.

Never thought I’d see a Disney kid cover the Cranberries. That song’s weight carries over to these days well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.