Miley Cyrus' NPR Tiny Desk Concert is anything but small

Originally published at: Miley Cyrus' NPR Tiny Desk Concert is anything but small | Boing Boing

I’m not really a fan of her pop music, or of the shtick that she’s had going for a few years, but I believe that she may be one of the most talented performers of her generation. We love to sit and watch YouTube videos of her various cover versions–she’s absolutely incredible. Her versions of Landslide and Jolene are amazing. She’s got so much incredible talent.

3 Likes

I think I agree. I’m not into her at all, but I have a guitar student who asked to learn one of her songs and I was surprised at how solid it was. If I had more time for such things, I’d be tempted to drop down a YouTube rabbit hole to hear more.

3 Likes

It’s worth the rabbit-hole. Her vocal range and ability is something to behold.

2 Likes

Earlier a great cover of Doll Parts, and now a really solid Fade into You (complete with old VHS filter) - who ever thought I’d have to start checking out Miley Cyrus more often?

The VHS thing really got my nostalgia going

4 Likes

I think that production has a lot to answer for. Many modern singers seem to have the range and talent; but that they then get trodden on so heavily by the production that their personality is lost.

3 Likes

Miley has come a surprisingly long way, musically speaking; I’m not mad.

5 Likes

Yup, I’m increasingly impressed with her. Can really belt it out too. Got a good Stevie Nicks vibe there a few times.

4 Likes

Agreed. I feel like in the case of Miley Cyrus, for me anyway, he range and talent was lost. Though, again, her pop style wasn’t my thing to begin with. Once I heard her simply singing, I was blown away.

Two great examples of her range are “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover.”

and her version of “Heart of Glass.”

Also, you can really tell she has fun and doesn’t give a damn what people think about it all.

4 Likes

If there’s one kind of peer pressure I don’t mind, it’s musical peer pressure. I’ll make the time :smiley:

That’s exactly how I felt. I a had moment of “Ugh” when my student asked for a Miley song, but it died the moment I started listening to the song.

5 Likes

Change and growth in a positive direction, it does still happen sometimes.

Good for her.

4 Likes

Both fun videos - thanks for posting! And your impression has pretty much been mine, too: “I have a big microphone and a fun band. Let’s play around and see what we like.”

I’d wager it turns into a really unique, eclectic sound for her future original work.

2 Likes

I got a very Chrissie Hynde feeling from fade into you.

1 Like

I’m in complete agreement folks. Teen pop Miley wasn’t my cup of tea. Shock pop Miley REALLY wasn’t. This newer rebuilding of herself, the covers she’s been doing, the original music she’s putting out? This stuff is great and I’m always impressed. I think like many folks, she grew up one way, went through period of complete rebellion, then found a balance between the two worlds and melded them successfully, unlike so many others who get fame too young.

Chrissie is still rocking it in her late 60’s. I can’t remember hearing a singer who sounds so much like they did when they were in their twenties and thirties. She’s lost nothing on that beautiful voice.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.