Molly Crabapple's FBI file is 7,526 pages long

[Permalink]

2 Likes

I certainly hope she shares some of them with us.

2 Likes

I trust this is being done through the Wichita field office?

10 Likes

What’s the background on this? (I have to admit I don’t follow her work closely.) Has she done something special to attract attention, or is it just being an artist and an independent thinker living in a police state?

10 Likes

Well, for starters, she invented the Wood Stove, gave Jimmy Carter a “super-wedgie” in grade school, and has called upon the Japanese government to design, create, and emplace floating whale-triggered missile stations so that the whales have a fighting chance.

She’s a great human being.

5 Likes

You realise that by the time they finish vetting these 7500 pages, they’ll probably have accumulated several hundred more? Which will need more vetting…

1 Like

The latter.[quote=“tekna2007, post:4, topic:51154, full:true”]
What’s the background on this? (I have to admit I don’t follow her work closely.) Has she done something special to attract attention, or is it just being an artist and an independent thinker living in a police state?
[/quote]

“During the Occupy Wall Street protests, Crabapple lived near Zuccotti Park and helped produce art for the Occupy movement. A sample of her Occupy work was acquired by the Museum of Modern Art.”

The latter.

14 Likes

She’s also visited Gitmo and drawn art of that visit. (Maybe twice?)

6 Likes

OK, I am very vaguely familiar with Molly as an artist… why is the FBI interested in her at all? Someone care to fill me in?

Wow. An artist who’s only even marginally political has a file like that. Drives it home that we really do live in a police state, huh? I mean, I’ve lived a moderately interesting and eventful life, and I can’t even conceive how someone trying to exhaustively describe it could get up to 7500 pages. In her case, going by her wikipedia entry, thats 1.5 pages for every day of her adult life.

11 Likes

Care to read the thread (even such a short one) before you post a comment?

(i.e., answers up there ^^^ )

Ironically when I skimmed I saw the Carter Wedgie, and missed the real info. Thanks. Seems like a huge fucking waste of time, FBI.

3 Likes

Several years ago, I got detained on a false tip from the Fbi. I requested my file afterwards, and got the form letter explaing that they had no file on me.

2 Likes

Now they do. (Since you requested it.)

7 Likes

You should see how long this shark’s file is…

All the cool kids have FBI files.

3 Likes

I used an old BB post to get copies of what the NSA, FBI, CIA, etc. had on me, and despite my expectations, I got back one small piece of a page listing equipment requirements for a “drug-interdiction” mission to Bolivia in the mid-90s (stuff like airstairs, a sewage truck, five baggage carts, etc.). A pointless half-page of non-info. Which leads me to believe that the spooks don’t know what they’ve got or what they don’t have, and if they do have anything, most of it is likely to be senseless and of no use in a judicial affair.

I bet Google has a bigger file on me.

1 Like

3 Likes

7000 + pages is rather astounding. I’m curious how much of the file concerns the Occupy movement and associations with other individuals who were in and out of her apartment during those days. From her Wikipedia page footnotes:

In Discordia (2012), British journalist Laurie Penny
remembered how “Occupy Wall Street had set up camp two streets away
from Molly’s apartment in Manhattan and we’d just spent a sleepless week
documenting arrests. Molly perched at her desk churning out protest
posters and handing them to activists to copy and wheat-paste all over
the financial district…After three days, the word went out that there
was an apartment near the protest camp where you could find hot drinks,
basic medical attention and a place to charge your gadgets and file
copy. The flat became a temporary sanctuary for stray activists and
journalists”

I also wonder how many pages a photograph would account for in a file.

1 Like