FBI releases new images of DC pipe bomb suspect

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/02/01/fbi-releases-new-images-of-dc-pipe-bomb-suspect.html

5 Likes

If you don’t want to work from a screenshot, here are the images.

9 Likes

No domestic terrorist worth his salt would be seen in any other pair of kicks than those.

4 Likes

Having seen the moving clip from which these stills seem to be derived, I agree with several others who wonder, based on the gait and body movements, if the subject might be a woman.

4 Likes

Based on the shoes, probably not Macklemore.

Does nike air speed turf come in women’s sizing? Sizing down 1.5 would also work, though.

Yeah, I couldn’t tell if it was their natural gait or it they were being impacted by the weight of the bag. When they come around the corner, it seems at first to be natural, but when they are head-on to the camera you can see they’re leaning.

3 Likes

hmmm… doesn’t look like they’ve published the person’s height yet. but a dc resident could probably figure it out – or maybe a guess via google maps – based on location, position, and angle in the shot. shoe size from the tiles maybe.

[ eta] ( i wonder what’s in their hoodie pocket that they grabbed for. car keys or phone maybe? )

1 Like

So a White Domestic Terrorist? Just trying to clarify…

3 Likes

FBI guy: Let me use this open case of terrorism to plug my new book!
MSNBC: Of course!

2 Likes

The one hour timers on bombs that sat overnight indicate to me that they were not fully functional in the sense of actually going off.

1 Like

Man - who are these people collecting these $100K type rewards? Is it taxable income?

I’d love to see a documentary about people who identify suspects and actually get the rewards. But then again, I’m sure there are incarcerated people who WOULD ALSO like to know who these people are.

EDIT: According to Reddit, it IS taxable income, but you could deduct expenses related to earning it…Like moving expenses so you can run away and not be shot?

2 Likes

I expect the mechanical timer was a safety for the arming mechanism. Gives the bomber time to set the charge without risk of accidental detonation. Once the timer clicks down to zero the device is then armed and ready for the trigger mechanism.

2 Likes

Regarding the shoes, I expect these are long since disposed of.

If your going to commit a crime, why wear such distinctive clothing? This would be like robbing a bank and using the wienermobile as a getaway car.

2 Likes

I agree that someone else probably made the bombs, as the person in question’s request, who then placed them. I also believe this might be a novice, not used to wearing non-identifiable clothing and shoes, covering only their face. I think they are probably closer than they’re leading on, as to getting the bomb maker. I’m guessing they already know who’s in the security clips. Or, I watch too many British crime shows. Yeah, that’s it.

1 Like

I’ve just done a sector-wide search on every purchase of that type of Nike shoe and correlated it with cell phone records to narrow down the suspect list to these four people:

(if this were a movie)

This sets off my bs detector in a big way. The readings are huge. With all of the street surveillance and live streaming footage available are we really to believe this is the BEST photo available of the suspect?

Because CCTV is largely security theatre and most operators don’t dedicate the required space to high definition archive footage?

4 Likes

Remember, cops can find a protestor based on matching a tshirt logo with an Etsy page, if they really want to.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.