FBI: Do you know someone who walks like the suspected Washington DC pipe bomber?

Originally published at: FBI: Do you know someone who walks like the suspected Washington DC pipe bomber? | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Some clues for gait analysis:

21 Likes

That particular gate/stride is very close to the “crop duster” walk.

You’re welcome.

8 Likes

i’d know that gait anywhere, it’s clearly lauren boebert

20 Likes

Plus the obvious…

…and…

ETA

FETA

Was he …

Maybe, but he was certainly not …

Ok - I’ll stop now, but there are many, many others that could fit. :wink:

10 Likes

and less charitably (CW for holocaust references and Richey Edward’s state of mind)

ETA:
We know that the pipe bomber isn’t a Liverpool FC fan

12 Likes

In a revealing twist in how my brain works, in the last clip during their arm stretch I imagined them breaking into a musical number.

1 Like

At 0:48 they have a location and a real time and an active cell-phone. So yer tell’n me they aren’t all NSA tracking devices?

14 Likes

Well it certainly isn’t John Cleese…

13 Likes

Definitely not Muddy, he was walkin through the park

To me it looks like more of a crawfish walk

Despite being a kid with a great future, the suspect didn’t walk the line

There really is no limit to walking songs (I could have posted over a dozen more off the top of my head)

5 Likes

If their identity is never discovered, at least there’s the small consolation that whoever it is will never sleep soundly again, and will always be looking over their shoulder.

4 Likes

Hopefully they aren’t pulling a Keyser Soze.

5 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

I said, earlier above, that I’d stop.

But this is too good to pass up.

3 Likes

Class ended in ten minutes, and that didn’t leave me much time to prepare. The first order of business was those pesky gait-recognition cameras. Like I said, they’d started out as face-recognition cameras, but those had been ruled unconstitutional. As far as I know, no court has yet determined whether these gait-cams are any more legal, but until they do, we’re stuck with them.

“Gait” is a fancy word for the way you walk. People are pretty good at spotting gaits…

Gait-recognition software takes pictures of your motion, tries to isolate you in the pics as a silhouette, and then tries to match the silhouette to a database to see if it knows who you are. It’s a biometric identifier, like finger prints or retina-scans, but it’s got a lot more “collisions” than either of those. A biometric “collision” is when a measurement matches more than one person…

…I prefer to inject a little randomness into my attacks on gait-recognition; I put a handful of gravel into each shoe. Cheap and effective, and no two steps are the same.

The cameras used to set off an alert every time someone they didn’t recognize stepped onto campus…

…now it just tries to keep track of who’s where, when. If someone leaves by the school gates during classes, their gait is checked to see if it sorta-kinda matches any student gait and if it does, whoop-whoop-whoop, ring the alarm!

From Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow.
Published by Tor Teen in 2008

12 Likes

Have they looked in New Orleans?

1 Like
4 Likes

I mean gotta admit, no idea how someone’s going to identify this person, but the opsec they displayed was amazing. I don’t think that was a cellphone at 0:48, but instead sunglasses or him covering his face when people walked near him. Nondescript clothing. Nondescript bag. Nondescript jeans. Mask covering with nothing on it. Gloves the whole time. Looked at the camera in front of the DNC so knew what he was doing was being watched.

I wouldn’t be too shocked if we never find this guy. That much prep work, I bet he also had a burner phone on him.

4 Likes

All I could think watching this video was, “well, this guy looks like they read Big Brother/Homeland/Attack Surface”

5 Likes