Net Neutrality wins

[Permalink]

4 Likes

Whew. Now for those challenges…

6 Likes

Cenk Uygur had an excellent take on Net Neutrality. His position was that there was more money behind net neutrality (Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, etc) than there was against it (AT&T, Verizon, etc) so he predicted net neutrality would win the day. I’m glad he was right.

11 Likes

They tried, but failed to slip the ole’ salami to the inter’webs…

2 Likes

I am glad to be so pleasantly surprised…considering who the chairman is I didn’t hold much hope.

7 Likes

Not selling my computer anymore.

5 Likes

Nice! Glad to see something that the people wanted actually happened.

6 Likes

For now anyway… money never sleeps.

8 Likes

I feel the same way I did the night Obama won his first election: I should be happy, but I can’t shake the feeling that I’ll still ultimately end up disappointed.

13 Likes

That’s what she said?

6 Likes

The proposal still has kinks that need fixing, but as a start, it’s a good one and I’ll take it. I’d rather have a half-assed fix than none at all.

5 Likes

Now service providers must face the outcome they sought to avoid–an open internet protected by telecommunications utility rules.

Nonsense. This changes almost nothing. True they stuck it to Netflix, and I suppose they’ll have to un-stick that. But most of the worst was still on the drawing board, there’s not too much that needs undoing.

The part that kills is after we’ve paid Verizon billions to wire America for broadband, here’s what we’ve got:

And they need protection from whom?

10 Likes

If you can’t run a website or email server on your home computer, you don’t have net neutrality. Will this fix that?

4 Likes

I am all for the concept of Net Neutrality. But not knowing the details of what the gov wants to do, does it actually accomplish what Net Neutrality sets out to do?

That is the people’s concept and what the gov. comes up with can be two different things.

2 Likes

FYI:

…if you’d like to try to pin down some of the public faces of the goobers who oppose this.

6 Likes

Was it broken?

2 Likes

Isn’t that kind of the point?

8 Likes

God that’s a depressing map. If we’re going to let huge corporations take advantage of our infrastructure, get tax breaks and use of public funds to build their monopolies, common sense and public interest would require comprehensive coverage as part of the deal, and affordable basic service–like with other utilities.

4 Likes

I’m just happy for the foot in the door. Today’s vote may not be perfect by any means, but if it failed to pass, it would have been a disaster.

1 Like

The other part of the story might actually be more important:

That win would have been good enough, but then the FCC had to go one better and open up municipal broadband, too. At issue were laws passed in Tennessee and North Carolina to block development of municipal broadband in the cities of Wilson, NC, and Chattanooga, TN. Those cities asked the FCC to pre-empt those restrictions, and that’s just what the FCC did. That means that Wilson and Chattanooga can move forward to create competition to AT&T. It also means that other municipalities in the 19 state that limit municipal broadband can also be challenged. And that means more competition and better internet for many communities.

That’s how you change the map!

18 Likes