Nightmare video: cable snaps on slingshot amusement park ride

[Read the post]

It broke at the most natural point that it could - when it was under the most stress, and that’s a good thing. if it had broken at some other point such as on the way up or at the apex, things would have been much worse for the occupants.

7 Likes

Preemptively, to no one in particular: vertical video was super appropriate, stop complaining.

(I see those ‘experience the fear of death’ type amusements like I see ‘non-lethal’ weapons. Sometimes they work a little too well.)

8 Likes

Having been on the roof of the Stratosphere in Vegas and seen the chopped-off stubs of old roller coaster structure, I vowed never to ride a thing that depends on gravity being thwarted.

3 Likes

I came to say that. Bungee jumping (reverse or otherwise) is perhaps the only suitable activity for vertical video orientation, though.

2 Likes

I rode that roller coaster. It was a little kids roller coaster stuck onto the outside of a nearly-1000 ft building. It was lame.

3 Likes

I heard that, think that’s why they got rid.

I went on the the thing that fires you up the spire. The other two rides didn’t appeal too much.

1 Like

The big shot ride benefits from the height of the main tower, so I feel like the high roller did as well. My normal fear of heights is around a 5, but I was shaking after both of those rides until I was all the way back down on the ground. I liked the experience, but its not really fair to rate it against other coasters. Maybe the designers should have tried a less conventional design, maybe spinning cars or something.

Topic got me wondering and I landed at this interesting gathering of stories:
http://www.rideaccidents.com

1 Like

Boing boing.

10 Likes

unrelated but whenever i see one of these rides now i can’t not think of this video of DMX on one https://youtu.be/-tZ3-a7lCAU

1 Like

Man, that ride rocks for the first five seconds!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Isn’t Cap d’Agde the naturist town? I’m surprised there was footage of any orientation - I thought cameras were frowned upon in naturist circles…

Oh snap!

I’ll show myself out…

5 Likes

I know, right? Then it rocks more violently, to the side, bangs into a pole and just stays there. I want my money back.

4 Likes

ftfy :wink: :+1:

1 Like

Yes – one of my three reasons for going to Vegas was this ride.

Well - 1000 feet is like 10 or 12 inches for humans. Pretty, Pretty, Big.

It’s too late for me to ride the roller-coaster on that Las Vegas thing (I think it’s closed), but even if the roller-coaster was a bit floppy ( c’mon - roller-coaster at 1000 feet - the bigger they are…). Any amusement park ride would be worth it at 1000 feet - even the Whirling-Tea-Cup-Ride. Tourist friendly reeeallly tall buildings are a lot of fun - especially if you’re smashed on your company’s dime.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.