Notable objects in 9/11 museum, and why a reporter was kicked out

Italian-American actor “Iron Eyes Cody” in his most memorable scene.

3 Likes

irony spill in aisle 6.

As a total aside, I’ve made the switch in online communications away from using -you- to mean anyone except the person I am responding to. It’s amazingly easy to get the right context for that word usage in person, and remarkably easy to read it as literal text online. Part of good communication is knowing the limitations of the receiving equipment, and most people take -you- to mean -them- and not -one-. It’s just a suggestion/sharing of experience, because I tired of otherwise good conversations derailing over that one word, which I learned I did not have to rely on so much.

7 Likes

Sometimes I use “ya” as a way to transliterate the intonation that makes it easy to understand the general “you” IRL but not online.

1 Like

I think you nailed it.

This was a case of several security guards living down the worst stereotypes of the reputation of what they do for a living.

The fact it happened at the 9/11 Museum makes it news-worthy, but shit like this happens everyday, all over the country.

8 Likes

If the cheese platter is the most tasteless thing there, I’m calling that a win. If anyone has ever seen the Regretsy (I miss you so much Regretsy) 9/11 tribute of the Etsy garbage spew in this category, I think they will agree.

4 Likes

Not to defend the goon squad, but I bet you that Truthers love crashing the museum to “just ask questions”* in front of visitors on a regular basis. I wonder if they have the guards a little sensitized to people engaging strangers

*and hiding behind “THE FIRST AMENDMENT” and being a “notable blogger” when asked to leave.

1 Like

You’re not kidding. That was wrenching.

I don’t like where we are at with the military police tactics that have become the norm but the guards did not say no questions ever, they said you have to go through the proper channels, undoubtedly to keep less than respectful journalists from adding to the emotion of the place. Much as I wouldn’t want a reporter seeking an inside story if I was at a funeral.
Why did she identify herself as a reporter? Because she wanted a story.

And the gift shop is just crass.

2 Likes

Why would you imagine someone else finds enjoyment in disrupting conversation? Seems rather telling.

Also, I can’t imagine why you put that label on that commenter. I suspect it was a mistake.

But that’s not gawkr. Gawker wastes its bandwidth on “celebrity gossip”, not rubber necking :smile:

Edited the statement for clarification, “I bet you that Truthers”, not the label “I bet you Truthers”.

1 Like

I struggle on Boing Boing and other international forums with trying to spot if I am responding to an American (requiring plain speaking) or a European (allowing a certain license for irony and sarcasm). Being from a part of Britain where we speak Cynicism as a first language, it can be a real struggle to just say what I mean rather than alluding to it tangentially.

6 Likes

Maybe there needs to be a safe euphemism that can be used in place of “reporter”. (Kind of like how a science-fiction author can make so much more money lecturing if billed as a “futurist”.)

Perhaps “blogger” ?

2 Likes

I understand, though I suspect you and I have opposite opinions of how we respond to Americans and Europeans. I’m Boston area USA. We speak plain AND cynical here. :wink:

6 Likes

Maybe you’re just part of a European sleeper cell, waiting for the right moment to be sarcastic, ironic, and cynical about plain speakin’ Americans.

3 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

3 Likes

I understand your position and agree to some point. In this case, assuming the details were presented accurately, the reporter took advantage of an unplanned opportunity to ask about the confrontation. If that’s truly the case, I can’t argue with that. If she went in with the specific intent to interview people inside, I’d say that was pushing the boundaries of propriety.

As for the security guards, it seems that once she acknowledged that she was not to be interviewing people, they should have let her stay. But hey, they’re security guards - they don’t really have to have any skills to do that job, including people skills or critical thinking skills.

2 Likes

Yep, sounds just like Boston.

2 Likes

Also, while I’m thinking of it, what is this line of bricks that goes down the street like this? And where can I get a cheese steak in this town?

Y’all still got that tea party going on?

1 Like

Does anyone from Boston really talk like Loyd Grossman?

1 Like