NYT building collection of unhip Daft Punk corrections

[Permalink]

1 Like

Rob wrote,

it’s funny how the specifics here (perhaps unfairly!) paint it as unbelievably unhip, as if these names were fringe-culture obscurities rather than something blaring from every goddamn radio station in America 24/7.

So being aware of what’s blaring from mainstream corporate outlets makes a person hip?

:-/

2 Likes

I’m comfortable with the New York Times being a little on the square side.

1 Like

Consider it a necessary precondition.

3 Likes

This is an indicator of a much more common thing - the increasing absence of copy editors from newspaper production. In the name of savings, many papers have decided to ‘just run it through spell check’. It results in lots of hilarity, such as ‘meat the editors’ - but it is bothersome, too. How am I supposed to trust that they’ve got their facts right, when they can’t even get the words on the page right?

(Note: I did check, but I will admit to and own any typographical or grammatical errors in the above)

3 Likes

Actually, this story, which seems to collapse to - “Major media outlet is incapable of naming acts correctly, could the acts be from a parallel universe?!” - would make a good seed for a novel. Cory, you’re on!

1 Like

At least they’re very good with corrections (as in, they actually do correct stuff all the time) and don’t try to hide anything. This makes them infinitely more trustworthy than many other media outlets (especially “new” media).

1 Like

I wish I was as blissfully ignorant of “Get Lucky”.

1 Like

by the way, which one’s pink?

I count two. Quite a collection…

How can you shun the mainstream if you don’t know what’s in it?

1 Like

I work as a technical writer, and this is precisely why we still have humans peer reviewing each other’s work. Our spelling checker didn’t complain about “automatic testes” when I typo-ed it into the manual, but fortunately a colleague noticed the extra “e” before we published.

Ha, right. And thus is revealed the ironic dependency of the Hip.

Those dang kids, listening to their Daft Puck or Daft Pink, or whatever. Back in my day, we had real music, played by real musicians, on real instruments! not this twiddley widdly electronic stuff!

Now get off my lawn!

I like Daft Puck. It sounds Shakespearean. Somewhere out there is surely a Renfaire band (or at least a filk group) who has used that name.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.