Online anti-harassment task force launched

This is not an apt analogy.

Gamergate was SPECIFICALLY CREATED to retaliate against and harass ONE woman. That’s the entire reason it was created. That’s it. PERIOD.

There is no defending it. None.

A more apt analogy would be saying some KKK members are totally swell, non-racist people … but that would be a lie.

4 Likes

And now you have the group, have its members unwilling to leave but willing to collectively mellow out, and instead of letting them you’re continuing pushing their “enemy” role.

Not a recipe for ending the war.

Oh for fuck’s sake, if you don’t want to be put in the same group as a bunch of misogynistic asswipes, then don’t associate yourself with a misogynistic group. Done. Easy fucking peasy.

If you refuse to leave the group, then it’s probably because you agree with their shitty opinions and harassing behavior. Otherwise, why stay with a group that’s so fucking terrible? There’s no reason whatsoever to associate with gamergate unless you actually believe in their bullshit because THEY ONLY HAVE ONE PURPOSE.

Wait, let me guess: It’s totally about ethics in gaming journalism!

Hint: No. It’s not. It’s about harassing women. Full stop. Period. End of fucking discussion.

unwilling to leave but willing to collectively mellow out

And what a load of fucking bullshit. No, we DO NOT need to be nicer to sexist, misogynistic, hateful assholes. That’s not actually what we need to do. If they are unwilling to leave a blatantly misogynistic group/campaign, that means they are 1)not desiring to mellow out and 2)agree with the misogynistic group/campaign. Otherwise, they’d LEAVE.

And there is ZERO evidence that anyone wants to ~mellow out.

This isn’t a war. This is ONE group of misogynists attacking women. That’s not war. That’s harassment, not war. Another shitty anology from someone defending misgonisti asswipes! How shocking.

Don’t want to be called a racist? Don’t join the KKK!

Same fucking diff.

SO I take it you’re a misogynist? Since you’re part of a blatantly misogynistic group and all. That’s on you.

Don’t wanna be associate with misogynists or called a misogynist for being involved with a misogynistic group? THEN LEAVE THE MISOGYNISTIC GROUP and stop defending them.

Done! So fucking easy.

I note that you’ve provided NOTHING to back up your ridiculous claims. Huh!

There is NO EVIDENCE that gamergate has EVER had anything at all to do with anything except harassing women. Gamergate has nothing at all to do with ethics in gaming journalism. Everyone knows it. Including you.

Stop defending such hateful, bigoted group. Unless you are a hateful bigot yourself, in which case carry on. But don’t blame me when I call a damn spade a fucking spade for hanging out with other fucking spades.

5 Likes

more like:

muslims:gamers::muslim terrorists:gamergaters

gamergate as a movement is extreme, misguided, self-deceiving, paranoid and violence-embracing. Sure, there are members who think they’re genuinely doing the right this for “ethics in journalism” but there are also terrorists who actually feel they are freedom fighters. Their victims disagree. And to the arguments of "#notallgamergaters, let’s extend the analogy…if all you do is write an article about the failings of western democracy, but you sign it #AlQaeda4eva, you’ve done yourself a disservice.

If it’s about group belonging, why not claim allegiance to the superset, rather than the extreme subset?

4 Likes

Group-belonging. Quite a strong feeling.

No, it is about group-belonging. The group found itself with existence but without a strong cause, and so attempted to come up with “underlying” reasons, without much success. That explains these discrepations but does not negate its existence.

Not so easy to leave a group. Any group. Double so when you are not already a member of other group that could provide you with the in-group feeling. The same underlying psychology works for terorist groups, religious cults, soccer hooligans, knitting circle, and pretty much everything else. There is a reason why excommunication tends to be an effective threat for millenia or more.

Your advice is strongly felt, highly emotional, and as highly unlikely to work.

Your advice is strongly felt, highly emotional, and as highly unlikely to work.

Hahahahahahahahaha. How predictable. Of course I am the emotional one! Of course! Totally. I’m emotional. What other sexist tropes are you going to sling at me? eye roll

No, it is about group-belonging.

^^^^^ THIS IS AN ARGUMENT BASED ON EMOTION. Christ. You can’t even avoid being a hypocrite in this argument. You’re not worth my time. I give no shits what you think of me.

And I note you still have yet to prove that gamergate is NOT a bigoted, misogynistic hate group, and yet I am the emotional one? OTAY THERE BUDDY, SURE THING.

Oh … someone defending sexist bigots using sexist tropes? Never seen that happen before!

Fuck, you people are predictable as hell.

1 Like

Mod note: Stay on topic.

Gamergate is on topic? Not sure if you’re talking to me? Don’t wanna anger Falcor!

We have a thread topic that discussed it here
I could create a Topic relates to the mess that was GamerGate; but then again, this might as well serve as one, since it addressed what the GameGaters were fighting against.

Online-harassment and Gamergate are connected. It’s on-topic. Gamergate is all about harassing women online (and sometimes in meatspace, too).

since it addressed what the GameGaters were fighting against.

And this is rich. GamerGaters aren’t fighting against anything concrete. It’s all made up in their sexist brains.

2 Likes

not to mention the direct catalyst for the creation of the online tool in question.

2 Likes

I don’t even know exactly what GamerGate is (and I don’t want to know, I can’t handle it personally right now, it’s too much), but I just want to say that while it’s great that tools are being created and presented for women who face harassment, it’s sad that its’ in such high demand, especially related to gaming.

I’m a big time gamer, and a woman, and right now I just want to distance myself from the whole gaming community. I just feel overwhelmed and sad and embarrassed that such harassment is so prelevant. I’ve experienced it myself, too. I know probably most of the gaming community are great people, but all this is a case of a drop of poison ruining the whole well. I’m gonna withdraw to my single-player games and only play online with my brother and sister.

2 Likes

Yup. Exactly. It’s 100% on-topic.

Yeah, no.

But don’t let me stop your Cultural Revolution.

(Even if I can dance about it, it’s not my revolution.)

Anybody who says “you’re either with us, or against us” – I’m against them.

That would be an apt analogy if GamerGate was operating as a “we hate women!” organization. But it is not. It is publicly operating as “we’re for a bunch of vague stuff like gamers and games and games journalism that is not ethically challenged and advertisers something something”… so people join up because “yeah, I’m in favor of games and ethics woo!” without having the benefit of your kind and gentle exegesis.

And you’re utterly delusional if you think it hasn’t grown from there, and people are unaware of its origins.

But, hey! You are aware that it has grown and changed. Woo!

Talk about delusional denials.

Especially since he even pointed the timeframe of the email that launched it.

Both delusional and exhibiting poor (or deliberate) reading comprehension.

…I just realized that your posts reeks of troll bait.

All it seems to do is to invoke strong emotions to the reader in hopes to justify themselves. Hate to say this, but what you posed were pretty much the same toxic babble that infested the countless message boards.

1 Like

Gamer gate was created specifically to harass one woman. There is no other reason it exists.

But, hey! You are aware that it has grown and changed. Woo!

Yup. To harass more women, not just Quinn.

I note that no one has provided evidence otherwise!

We’ve discussed this before. Gamergate is about NOTHING else but the harassment of women. Even you can’t clearly state what else it’s about.

I can’t believe we’re STILL arguing about this shit. GAMERGATE IS NOT ABOUT ETHICS IN GAMING JOURNALISM. It never ever ever ever was. That has been proven over and over again.

Why are people defending this bullshit movement? For what purpose? I don’t get it.

3 Likes

So calling things as it is is emotional now? Okay.

Don’t want to be called a bigot? Don’t associate yourself with bigots.

Doesn’t mean that people within it don’t think it’s about something else. Doesn’t mean they are right, but YELLING LOUDER ISN’T GOING TO CONVINCE THEM OTHERWISE.

It has not been proven over and over again to those within it who think it is about ethics or something else.

We have first-hand testimony from an escapee, and given the reception you’re giving him, I can see why more people would want to stay inside and never leave the compound.

Do you honestly think that our comments are widely read outside of BoingBoing?

Why are people* conflating explanations of internal beliefs with apologias? Just because Ted Koppel can explain what ISIS is fighting for does not mean he believes they are right.

[Is Ted Koppel still a thing? I’m dating myself. Is Gene Shallit still doing crappy reviews? How about Avery Schrieber fronting for Doritos?]

* you

Don’t want to be called a trolley?

Don’t trolley with toxic babble.

Learn to type like a human being. DROP THE ALL CAPS. Stop spitting bile. Stop biting everybody within range. Stop accusing everybody who isn’t you of being some sort of radical. Accept that there are shades of mistakes, and that not everybody has your privilege of viewpoint.

Yeah, that’s right.

I called you priviledged.

Can you step outside of that box for a minute and listen to other, fallible, human beings?

2 Likes

Get off your high horse. And stop defending such blatantly terrible people who have literally sent bomb threats to women.

And stop dong the #NotAllGamerGaters thing. It’s bullshit. It’s not an argument.

I’m not the only one who feels this way: https://twitter.com/hashtag/notallgamergaters

I can’t believe we’re still arguing about this shit!

1 Like

I HONESTLY can’t believe I just got #NotAllGamergaters-ed.

So much bullshit.