"Persecuted": thriller about poor religious conservatives versus evil liberals

[Permalink]

1 Like

That sound you hear is of me banging the head against the wall.

Seriously, why is religious pluralism and coexistence of believers/non-believers so hard for evangelical christians to understand?

These people project that their enemies plot to convert and/or kill them because – surprise – in their deepest id, they wouldn’t mind converting and/or killing their non- or insufficiently believing “adversaries.”

Also, I thought the supply of right-wing hackjobs had been used up in God’s Not Dead.

15 Likes

I would say you have got to be kidding me, but I gave up all hope for a sane and just universe a while ago.

9 Likes

It seems like their own persecution complex is the only kind of masturbation that some of these conservative Christians accept as permissible.

26 Likes

Is there a chance of this getting as big as Passion of the Christ or even Left Behind? It sounds like one of the many christian movies crapped out every year by niche studios and sent straight to video. They aren’t intended to be seen by anybody but their target audience. It’s like going to a Care Bears movie and complaining that the plotline is not deep enough to satisfy you.

3 Likes

Again the power of [symbolism][1].

As advanced a species as we are, it comes down to story telling. Movies are powerful. It can connect a set of experiences into an ongoing narrative. That narrative only has to have enough truth to be plausible, reality be dammed.

[George Lakoff][2], a linguist and political contributor during the bad old days of the Bush administration, often complained that liberals just don’t get it when it comes to symbolism and emotional narratives, and that’s why they fail at communicating the big issues.

The work still hasn’t been really started.
[1]: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/harnessing-the-power-of-symbols.html
[2]: http://georgelakoff.com/

2 Likes

Who doesn’t love it when the Scrappy Underdog of the Dominant Paradigm forgets the basic tenet of his belief system in order to create a system wherein all modern progress is reset to “The Good Ol Days” where Blacks and Women knew their place, Business pukes unfettered smoke into the air and the White Man sits on this throne of gold King of the World?

At least, that’s what I THINK it’s about. I don’t know. Isn’t that the End Game of U.S. Religious Conservatism?

8 Likes

FSM, help me, my eyes can’t stop rolling around the back of my head!

5 Likes

Because they can not fathom that others are serious about tolerance and assume that these others would act like they would like to act, i.e. forced conversion or extermination.

20 Likes

I think this is a big part of it - ultraconservative isolationist homeschoolers complaining that the liberals want to brainwash their kids, take away their right to free speech and control of their own bodies, push a single belief system on the country and push out freedom of conscience…

6 Likes

11 Likes

Nihilist…that must be exhausting.

6 Likes

ROFLMAO! Bullet time!

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering for a while what happens when everyone who actually was alive during the “Good Ole’ Days” is finally dead and gone…

1 Like

People are then completely free to imagine the Good Ole’ Days however they want to.

10 Likes

Don’t know if you meant “tenement” (a house divided into and rented out as separate residences, especially one that is run-down and overcrowded)
or
“tenet” (a principle or belief, especially one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy) .

In this case, either one is applicable! :slight_smile:

Say what you will about the tenets of nihilism, dude, at least it’s an ethos.

10 Likes

Please! No PowerPoint!!!

3 Likes

Oh, holy shit, is this good! A minister named Luther, of all things, is framed for murder because he crosses evil Bill Clinton. It’s like The Fugitive, only Harrison Ford’s role is played by our common sense.

2 Likes

“tenet”, I wasn’t paying attention.