Photography project explores male entitlement and the female experience

[Permalink]

2 Likes

I recommend listening to James Brown singing “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World”
while browsing the Bartel page on women.

According to its Wikipedia pages, the lyrics to “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” were written by Brown’s then- girlfriend, Betty Jean Newsome, based on her observations of life in a man’s world. Although Brown is listed as co-writer, Newsome claims he contributed nothing to the song and that he didn’t pay her royalties even as co-writer.

“It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” was recorded as a single in the mid-60s. The studio ensemble included a women’s chorus, but their parts were not used in the final release.

7 Likes

Of course not.

Of course not.

5 Likes

I’ve never seen such feminist misandry-a “form of prejudice and discrimination that has become institutionalized in North American society”. Open your eyes. Even the TV advertisements show men as bumbling idiots, until his “good wife or partner” explains it to him.
Male entitlement? You obviously have never known any family in the process of a separation or divorce going through the courts.

2 Likes

That was the 60’s. This is now 50 years later. Were you even alive in the 60’s to know how much different it is now?

“Get with the times everybody, sexism is over now! Unless you count sexism against men, which is ten billion times worse than sexism against women ever was. Let me tell you a thing or two about divorce courts…”

24 Likes

Oh woe is me, commercials show my gender as being dumb! Us poor men!

18 Likes

Yes, the entire decade. I am keenly aware of the ways in which it was different, and how much hasn’t changed much at all.

16 Likes

Second day in a row in “like” time-out. I blame the questions thread!

5 Likes

Point the way, I’ll like things for you.

Hastag sharingiscaring

3 Likes

Some of them are yours!

2 Likes

That’s a trope from much more than ads. Take two of the best-known TV characters, Fred Flintstone and Homer Simpson; both are incompetent men who bumble their way into one adventure after another and more often than not need to be bailed out by their wives. Their wise and beautiful wives, both desired by many more attractive men, both shown to be so talented they could pick up their own artistic or political careers at the drop of a hat.

Not that they ever do, of course, in the end. The good wife may be brilliant, but never has ambition to do anything with that on her own. All she really wants is to stand behind the incompetent boor she married, keep his home, and help him bumble through his ill-conceived schemes. Because while she may roll her eyes from time to time, in the end she loves the idiot, and talented or not every aspect of her character is completely subordinate to that.

Yes, it’s a stereotype that really shows popular culture to be deeply misandrist, no doubt about that. :unamused:

21 Likes

Was I the only one who noticed the perfume ad next to this article showing the clothed man clutching the naked woman?

Why is Boing Boing running that ad anyway?

pays the bills…

Not on my computer. It’s probably just Google serving you up the things you crave, yet pretend not to crave.

These photos are extremely creepy. I wonder if they’re just a little bit hyperbolic, but I wouldn’t know for sure, since I am part of the problem.

Aw shucks.

1 Like

The real question is why aren’t you running an ad blocker and buying a tee shirt. They get more money that way.

4 Likes

Flintstone definitely, would you say that Homer is also based on Ralph Kramden or more of the nuclear family general “dad” trope?

Waaaah! Waaaah! Waaaaah!

I happen to read that one on the iPad or I wouldn’t have seen the ad. Maybe that’s why no else commented on it.

I’m amused and a little saddened at how many really insecure men there seem to be. I’m male but didn’t find this offensive at all. Regardless of whether I think it’s an issue it’s obvious that some women think it is. I don’t get the comments about men being portrayed as bumbling idiots because while I see those portrayals I also see men who are bumbling idiots so that seems accurate. And I see men portrayed as heroes far more often than women. Even the female heroes in media are often just men with boobs and you swap in a man with no impact on the role.

It’s to bad so many members of my gender, supposedly big, brave, males, are so afraid of someone saying they make mistakes, i.e. that they’re human.

5 Likes