Proven techniques to stop a toddler from crying

ooohhh… this crappy week from hell just ended with a good laugh. thank you.

speak for yourself

I have a zero tolerance policy for people who won’t show a little tolerance for the intolerant.

Well, such intolerable intolerance simply cannot be tolerated.

I think it should be titled, “What One Weird Trick Stopped This Toddler From Crying???”

3 Likes

The joke emerges from the headline all by itself and begs to be said. The trick is to be the one to get the phrasing and tone just right. No easy task at all. And here is someone picking away at a guy just trying to raise a laugh. You really should be ashamed of yourself.

I thought you were just supposed to shake them really hard.

1 Like

Two words – Ben Afleck

I started using this technique earlier this month. It’s very good. The video demonstrates it well. I also think the bigger point is you are teaching the kid coping techniques, so you want to teach them about expressing their feelings, then coping and moving on - rather than frantically looking for some trick to make them stop annoying you. Prior to this I was using the traditional method of shouting, “Oh, for god’s sake - what are you crying about can’t I have a minutes peace!” but that usually just makes the child cry louder. Actually, the most common alternative to distraction is ignoring and dismissing the child’s emotional expression and refusing to grant them a space to cry. This is part of the discipline and punish school of parenting - as opposed to the coping and cooperating school.

1 Like

Choking Hazard Outrage is no joke!!1!

See here how the “joke” returns over and over in slightly distorted form. The jokes in combination form an eddy of humor which the mind finds intriguing and subtly soothing like water in a stream. On the larger scale, though, a pattern of dysfunction is revealed that is self-similar to each joke but stands in stark contrast due to its stupendous scale. What was humor before has become horror. The humor/horror contrast is what makes clowns weep.

I’m not sure if you’re teaching the kid coping techniques, or the kid is teaching you coping techniques. Whatever your traditional method is, my point is that there is no one solution to toddlers crying. Indeed, sometimes there isn’t one! Most parents will recognize when a child is in pain, or tired, angry or bored by the tone of the cry, and will adjust response accordingly. In this case, ignoring may very well be a good way to teach coping techniques, if the toddler cry is the method used to “distract Daddy and make him pay attention to me with that word game”.

1 Like

Semantically wrong. To stop a toddler from crying requires the existence of the toddler.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.