Real Stuff: The Hot Squat

This comic is kind of dumb but I don’t see that it’s really misogynistic, it’s not like he was offering to take sexual favors in exchange for something the women really needed, like a job (and he didn’t bring up the idea to them). I wonder if a comic like this would get a different reaction if it was part of a series by a recognized comics artiste like R. Crumb, say.

8 Likes

Nothing in that comic suggested she was a lesbian rather than a bisexual, and they didn’t go to the bar “to beat up some queers”, they went to dance and a gay man started a fight with him. Maybe it was ignorant of him to go intrude their space at that point in history (today I think few would say there’s anything wrong with the odd heteresexual couple dancing at a gay bar), but I don’t see that comic expressing any hatred of gay people.

5 Likes

This shit is pretty juvenile. Since I am over 14 I find it pretty boring and uninteresting, it says more about the mental stagnation and sexual development (or lack thereof) of the author than anything about society.

1 Like

It looks like he is the only one who has to sign off on it, since he has his own account as an editor/poster. He is just running with his admin rights, essentially. Too bad he was given that account, as he clearly doesn’t deserve it.

2 Likes

Your use of the phrase “testicular fortitude” (what, women have no fortitude, just because they’re women?) makes it easy for me to see why you can’t see what’s wrong with this cartoon.

5 Likes

I miss Antonius. Does he still work here?

6 Likes

I was okay with the MC post–it was really about how CNN covers MC too much, and too highly placed on their site, in favor of real news.

Was wondering the same thing.

1 Like

I was hoping Carrot Top…

Haha just keep them coming lol :dancers:

He has posted a few times shortly after the introduction of the new commenting system but I haven´t seen any posts from him in weeks. Either he´s on an extended leave or he quit. Although I found his moderating decisions arbitrary at times I kind of miss him. He had something witty to say about a lot of things.

2 Likes

This comic’s presence would be more understandable if there weren’t literally hundreds* of cartoonists currently working who better fit the boing-boing’s “wonderful things” mandate.

*And that’s just the lady cartoonists.

4 Likes

Antinous has left. I miss him too. I think BB misses him, frankly.

5 Likes

I certainly do. :.-(

4 Likes

Well crap. Stuck with Eichhorn comics and no Antinous.

2 Likes

I think that particular strip made it really clear to me that whatever the intended meta-commentary is, the delivery is too blunt to communicate it, and it’s fair game to view and criticise the work on it’s face value.

1 Like

While most of the Real Stuff comics make me uncomfortable, they at least usually tell something of a story. This one is just “This one time, these girls came in to one of the hundreds upon hundreds of bars I seemed to work at, and said they would sit on my face if I gave them a discount on cover charge (and really? they only had 5 dollars on them?). But then they didn’t. The end.”

3 Likes

I personally find this comic embarrassing; I can’t really say with confidence that it’s “misogynistic”, but the main character (if not the author) is certainly juvenile. I’ve heard enough from those that think of “finding someone to have sex with” as “getting some pussy” or the like. I’m sure that was much more common, and acceptable, in past decades, but isn’t that the kind of thinking that now gets one routinely labeled as a “douchebag”? If there’s a meta-level to this comic, I have failed to locate it and would appreciate it if someone more perceptive would elucidate.

Is it really courageous to say (or post) something inflammatory or offensive simply because you know people will object to it? That’s a low standard of courage, particularly on the Internet.

3 Likes

The Real Life comics strike me as satirical. In this case, ridiculing Robert Crumb’s self-loathing schtick and his pretensions to social realism. Maybe the problem is that, twenty years after they were originally published, the Real Life strip, the comics it vaguely satirizes, and the contemporary context, are all now a distant blur.

4 Likes

Hmm, I’m confused, to be honest. The comic is being received negatively for sexism yet if this were a Robert Crumb strip from the 70s, let’s say a famous one like the one Mr. Natural ‘beheads’ Devil Girl, it would probably be received with a little more positively.

Lo-brow stuff is generally laced pretty heavy with sexual innuendo. In this case it’s almost as light as it gets. And it depicts a scenario that plays itself out across the States every Friday night. Do certain women actually do this? Yes, sorry they do. And we men, some of us are dogs enough to follow along…

5 Likes