Review: Cappucino flavor Lays

I tried all four Canadian flavors (because a store was having a one-day-sale with all of them on for 95c each):

Jalapeno Mac And Cheese: Nothing special as I’ve had jalapeno/cheese flavors before, and tihs one had a weird chemically undertaste that wasn’t appealing.

Bacon Poutine: Not too bad, slightly better than the PC “World of Flavours” poutine, but that’s one of my least favorite of that line, so it’s not saying much.

Tzatziki: Liked the idea, but my impressions were similar to yours, it just tasted like a slightly weird sour cream and onion. That said, I’d eat it again.

Cinnamon Bun: This was the one I was most skeptical on but I think it’s actually the most successful. It feels more like a snackable desert than a chip, but it’s nicely flavoured (assuming you like Cinnamon buns, anyway).

Though I’m still disappointed they never took my idea: Movie Theatre Popcorn-Butter potato chips. I don’t care if it’s unhealthy, I like the flavor on popcorn, I just don’t like popcorn because of the kernel-in-teeth issue, so it seems like a natural move to put it on a chip (especially since you put butter on baked potatoes, and anything that goes on a baked potato is traditionally a good chip topping).

I’ve had Kirin soybean beer, but it’s a regular dry beer.

The jalapeno mac and cheese are the only ones I tried. They were ok, but I agree - the chemical-ish aftertaste was bizarre. I can’t stand tzatziki in general, so didn’t bother trying those, but the bacon poutine was tempting. NO interest in the cinnamon bun flavour though. “Dessert chip” is not something that particularly interests me, I want my chips savoury.

And while we’re complaining about potato chip flavours - am I the only one that misses the old Hostess BBQ chip flavour? They replaced it years ago with this new sweet/tangy BBQ flavour (more of a mesquite, I think) which I just hate. Thankfully, you can still get that classic BBQ chip taste in most no-name brand BBQ chips. And I think Old Dutch had the old BBQ flavour for a while, but I haven’t been able to find them lately. :frowning:

Then again I pick up a bag of American Turkey flavored crunchy Cheetos when I go to China.

1 Like

Do they still make international delight instant coffee? Or was that abandond in the 80s where it should have been? Because you’re right the smell is INSTANTLY familiar to those us who lived through that era.

1 Like

That is an incredible bag. The juxtaposition of what appears to be a photo of a person with a bad CGI cat head next to a clip art turkey throwing crap-food-spears is blowing my mind.

This is how the world sees us. This.

I need to take a trip back to the UK.

I have discovered that both of these are available again:

And of course these:

I don’t believe I’ve found any fish flavoured snacks in the US. Are there any? Even ‘Goldfish’ are cheese flavoured. I was disappointed.

1 Like

Good description. I was going with stale Count Chocula.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure they serve these chips in hell.

1 Like

I’m afraid you’ll have to locate a good Asian grocery to find fish-flavored anything in the US.

Yeah, I don’t know if it’s a change in the standards of what counts as BBQ or just my tastes changing (or some combination of both) but BBQ used to be my favorite, now I hardly ever get it.

I have noticed Old Dutch has both “BBQ” and “Smokey BBQ” apparently. I’m guessing one is the old style and one is the new?

They also introduced a bunch of weird specialty flavors like Blooming Onion and Calamari/Tzatziki which, while I approve of their daring, didn’t work out very well.

I haven’t seen regular BBQ in Old Dutch chips in quite some time. It’s all “smokey BBQ”. Ick. I just stick with no-name brand BBQ for now, so far they don’t seem to have fallen into the weird mesquite craze (knock on wood!).

I’ve seen both varieties side-by-side in Loblaws (they’re on the tier of stores that usually have higher prices but make up for it with greater variety), but in lower-prices grocery stores it’s usually only one or the other, and usually only Smokey.

Still all told my favorite chips are the PC World of Flavours one (except they seem to be slowly getting rid of the flavors I love in favor of not-all-that-great-or-innovative ones).

Ahh, I never get to Loblaws - it’s usually either Metro (for convenience/quick shops, though prices are way higher) or Wal-Mart.

I tried these. Not good. Nopenopenope.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.