Review: Non-alcoholic whiskey-flavored drink

[Permalink]

The cap, ostensibly a screw-on, did not seem to match up with the screw-on threads of the bottle.

You’re sure it’s actually non-alcoholic? :smiley:

8 Likes

Use it as a mixer for vodka.

1 Like

If anyone else is curious, ingredients: Water, glycerol, natural and artificial flavors, lactic acid, caramel color, potassium sorbate, aspartame and acesulfame k.

not that that reveals a whole lot.

“Non-alcoholic […]drink”

…I’m sorry, I don’t understand.

4 Likes

I’m always annoyed by the “natural and artificial flavors” loophole.
It’s the same as putting “bread” on an ingredients label for a sandwich. Or “spices” in a curry mix. I actually am allergic to some kinds of curry, and there are spices that put me into anaphylaxis (saffron specifically)

1 Like

This is not the first time this idea has been tried, it didn’t work then either.

2 Likes

Some decaffeinated coffee is actually decent these days – because they start with quality coffee and then remove the caffeine. I don’t know why they couldn’t do the analogous procedure for alcoholic beverages, but between awful non-alcoholic beers and this, I almost wonder if the makers don’t want to make non-alcoholic equivalents succeed,

3 Likes

I thought that was how they make non-alcoholic beer?

I love coffee and beer, but don’t really see the point of either of those products, TBH.

First of all, WRT the ingredients label: remember that alcoholic drinks don’t have to have their ingredients listed, which has led to some pretty interesting (alleged) ingredients in the past, particularly in your more popular light lagers such as Budweiser.

Second, one of the things that people who have given up alcohol miss is the ritual, just as people who have given up smoking miss lighting up.

Just pour this into an empty (real) whiskey bottle and chug in front of some unsuspecting people. It would actually look pretty convincing. I mean considering you’d probably throw up just like you would from chugging a real bottle.

5 Likes

I know at least a few unscrupulous bar owners who may consider pouring this with a bit of grain alcohol and put it in their well drinks.

1 Like

You could always learn to make your own curry powder. Luckily (for you) saffron is too expensive to be very common.

True for saffron.
There’s something else that I’m allergic to as well in curries. I got tested for saffron specifically, so I tried eating a regular curry and had a very bad reaction. I honestly don’t want to go through a half gross of needle pricks to find out exactly what else it was I’m reacting to.
I’m satisfied avoiding saffron and curry generally as a solution. I never particularly enjoyed it, so I’m not missing it. Probably because I’ve never had good curry.

“All the taste of whiskey, none of the alcohol” sounds about as appealing as “all the side effects of chemotherapy, none of the cancer-fighting.”

No matter how many times I’m reminded, I’m still boggled that there are people who drink hard liquor for the taste. I think there’s a lot of overlap with the people who confidently insist that “pure alcohol has no flavor.”

1 Like

I know how to make my own curry powder; I just don’t think it’s worth my time to do so…

There is a solution here. The Frontier brand clearly labels everything, is of acceptable quality, and is fairly reasonably priced in bulk. It contains: organic coriander, organic turmeric, organic mustard, organic cumin, organic fenugreek, organic paprika, organic cayenne, organic cardamom, organic nutmeg, organic cinnamon, organic cloves.

The kind of trick Roger Sterling would pull when luring in unsuspecting potential clients at the airport lounge.

1 Like

The very idea is gagulating…if the only other choice was well water with a dead coyote in it, I’d have to think about it.

Plus…the name. Arkay? Is it supposed to appeal to people from Arkansas and/or Kentucky? Or evoke Archaic? (Maybe just to me…) I would have dumped the green label in favor of darker browns and blacks, called it Homebrew or some such…but pity, nobody asked me.

Ixnay on the Arkay.

Generally, they start with swill only marginally classifiable as beer, not quality craft stuff.