Clear Beer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/23/clear-beer.html

2 Likes

I think we can all live without a clear, non-alcoholic ‘beer’.
It sounds like sparkling water with some kind of essence or extract in it.

6 Likes

Wasn’t this called Zima?

14 Likes

There was a clear beer in the US in the early nineties during the clear drink fad. Was it Miller?

5 Likes

Eh, whatever. Many non-alcoholic beers already meet the low bar of tasting just like the boring, bland mass-produced beers they’re based on, and I think it’s safe to say that’s the kind of flavour this product manages to clone. The colour… I just can’t bring myself to care about the colour.

2 Likes

The funny thing about those old Zima commercials was that the best pitch they could come up with was “it would be an adequate substitute for beer if beer ceased to exist.”

This beverage takes that to the next level: “an adequate substitute for non-alcoholic beer.”

10 Likes

NO. That shit was an abomination and tasted almost but not quite entirely unlike beer.

8 Likes

12 Likes

Sounds like Chrystal Pepsi with a thimble full of Everclear. Hard pass.

6 Likes

When I lived in the Netherlands, there were a handful of refreshing N/A beers that I often drank during the day because I LIKE beer. Weihenstephaner, Erdinger and even Amstel had decent beers that I liked at my desk for daytime consumption. Somehow, I don’t think this is one.

3 Likes

Yeah. But it kind of was beer.

It wasn’t a wine cooler. We had those. They were going after the crowd that wanted a beer but didn’t like beer and refused to drink wine coolers.

3 Likes

My father in law can’t drink anymore due to esophageal cancer (in remission, thank you). So to keep the ritual of beer drinking going, he drinks Kirin non-alcoholic. I have tried it. It is not terrible.

2 Likes

That’s called bourbon in my world.

6 Likes

They re-released Zima about a year ago. My wife bought some to reminisce.

We still have 5 bottles in our fridge. :neutral_face:

5 Likes

Friends don’t let friends drink Zima.

Kill the Zima!

2 Likes

Something to go along with the gravy:

10 Likes

Just think of how many people owe their existence to Zima

4 Likes

My favorite beer substitute is kvass. Which is water with rye bread in it that is fermented and only slightly alcoholic (typically less than 1%). The homemade stuff is best, but there is a commercial version that is carbonated and tasted kind of like cola (but definitely not cola).

1 Like

So Malta Goya isn’t good enough for some people?

3 Likes

https://int.erdinger.de/beer/kristall.html :

You don’t need anything more clear than that.

2 Likes