The Clear Craze of the 90s: Remembering Zima

Originally published at: The Clear Craze of the 90s: Remembering Zima | Boing Boing

4 Likes

i admit, unashamedly, to liking Zima back then.
That’s all i have to say about that

19 Likes

I just remember the ad campaign for Zima being weird and unconvincing. There were commercials where people found themselves in places where beer was inexplicably nonexistent, and faced with the dilemma of what to drink would choose a Zima instead.

But of course in real life people who drink alcohol do live in a world that has beer. So why not just go with their first choice?

7 Likes

Though I’m old enough to remember Zima when it was a thing, my personal favorite is when Archer’s chemo had been replaced:

followed by

9 Likes

It you didn’t like beer but still wanted in on the clear craze, there was always Crystal Pepsi. The 90s were weird.

13 Likes

Was that the one that looked like mini-Tide pods in a bottle?

I shall join you in the corner of shame. I definitely enjoyed it (my waistline not so much).

2 Likes

I’m not sure if we ever even got Zima in Canada. For years I only knew it from a super creepy SNL skit which is probably best left to be forgotten. Then one year I went to the Sasquatch festival and Zima had a booth (I think this was probably shortly before it was discontinued) so I decided to try it.

Years later, I still want my $7 back.

2 Likes

I recall there being a “headache” in every bottle.

7 Likes

Maybe you’re thinking of something else, but since Zima tasted like watered down 7Up, iirc, people would put Jolly Ranchers into them to add flavor. I’m sure after a few minutes they looked (and possibly tasted) like dissolving detergent.

8 Likes

Come on! Deke Shaw loved that shit!

5 Likes

Yep, I remember drinking this on occasion. Probably while listening to bands like The Judybats or Del Amitri.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking of Orbitz, which wasn’t even alcoholic.

10 Likes

I’ve never heard of it, and am now sad I missed it because I f’ing hate gravity. It’s about time a beverage put it in its place!

Alternative times call for alternative beverages.

I should copyright that.

6 Likes

But apparently there’s a revival in the 23rd century on the Babylon 5 space station

10 Likes

B5 product placement. “Reflection. Surprise. Terror. For the future.”

9 Likes

I was going to bring up Babylon 5 Zima too, but then I found this:

Apparently it was not product placement, but meant for laughter. I thought it was placement when I saw it.

Unsure on the truth, but funny is true.

7 Likes

23 Likes

The future has been rebooted, without Zima.

5 Likes

I had my Zima friends (Asian-interest fraternity), I had my Mickey’s friends (punk rockers), and I had my Rolling Rock friends (everyone else).

Basically, I had no taste in the 90s, and little has changed.

9 Likes