The Clear Craze of the 90s: Remembering Zima

Funny, but not true. Zima was a malt beverage; White Claw (and its ilk) are spiked carbonated water.

2 Likes

Aren’t you a keto guy? Make fun of White Claw all you like (and I’ll be right there with you), but there are plenty of other delicious hard seltzers that are great for low-carb diets.

2 Likes

I keep low carb, I drink Guinness.

6 Likes

I remember during this craze, Cotton Club (who may be a regional bottler) bottled a run of their “red pop” without any food coloring so it was just clear, but they didn’t mess with the flavor. That was a kind of fun experience. Once.

9 Likes

I had a marketing professor at the time of Crystal Pepsi, who’s husband was a VP at Pepsi. She was CONVINCED it was going to end Coca-Cola. Did I mention she taught, marketing…

5 Likes

Snapple had a clear root beer soda in the 80s, which I recall as actually being pretty good, but of course the whole Snapple soda line eventually went away.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Depends on how you look at it:

• Zima was a tasteless crap beverage marketed to people who thought they didn’t like the taste of alcohol but wanted to get hammered anyway.

• White Claw is a tasteless crap beverage marketed to people who think they don’t like the taste of alcohol but want to get hammered anyway.

If we accept the truism that they’re both alcoholic bilge-water with zero redeeming qualities other than the ability to cause drunkenness, then they’re pretty much identical.

7 Likes

Ah, Guinness – the original light beer. At 18g carbs per pint, though, it might be low carb but keto it isn’t.

2 Likes

One bottle is 10g carbs or so here in the USA. It is just fine. I also do OMAD and have an eating window of about 45 minutes a day. I may break 20g net carbs some days but not 40g and I am really not worried about it.

I don’t need to drink flavored rolling rock light to be legit.

2 Likes

I admit to really liking Crystal Pepsi. I wasn’t even a regular Pepsi drinker, but young Ms. Connor was quite infatuated with the clear beverage craze.

Anyone remember New York Seltzer? They had a whole range of neat flavours that were all clear. “They just leave out the artificial colour” did not occur to me until much later. I thought it was future science magic wizardry at the time.

Okay, turns out NYS still exists! I haven’t seen it in a store in at least 30 years. Gotta go shopping…
https://www.newyorkseltzer.com/

5 Likes

You guys beat me to it!

It wasn’t paid placement though! JMS says:

• Babylon 5 (the show) got not a dime for sticking in the Zima sign. We just thought…well, it’d be funny.
  • Actually, the idea of Zima lasting even into 1995 is hysterical. I keep fighting the urge to have some guy show up on B5, “Zo then I zays to him, nize ztation”…and five Narns just jump on him and beat the shit out of him, WHAMWHAMWHAMWHAMWHAM!
6 Likes

New York Seltzer was notable for having those cute little (glass?) bottles. I think it referring to itself as “seltzer”, even just as a brand, left me brain-poisoned to expect seltzer to be sweet for at least a decade.

3 Likes

Yes! They even made it up into Canada and we loved them! I, too, thought it was some form of magic to have something clear and yet so full of flavour, it never occured to me how little colour and flavour need to be connected in the modern era. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

millerclear

There were a couple of competing “clear beers” in the 1990s.

It’s not on the official tour, but if you ask very nicely at Saint Arnold Brewery in Houston, TX, they can show you their possibly-comprehensive collection of 1990s Clear Beers, which they keep in a case in their administrative office. I believe the collection includes a bunch of the clear colas, as well.

4 Likes

You’re thinking of Orbitz Soda, I think

Which, fun fact, lasted long enough to once have a web presence at orbitz.com (yes, the very same! – but to the best of my knowledge in no way related).

EDIT – I see yourself beat me to it.

5 Likes

All the snapple sodas were amazing. Tru Root Beer, as you mentioned, Apple soda, I seem to recall a decent ginger ale?

Oh, and let’s not forget Clearly Canadian, which is having some kind of weird comeback. I was so fascinated by finding this at the local grocery store that I was compelled to document the moment photographically:

2 Likes

You beat me to it with the Crystal Gravy. But on a related note:

5 Likes

Yup! I grew up drinking it in Canada.

2 Likes

I tried a few zimas. they came out right at the beginning of my drinking history, so everything was new to me anyway. I liked them ok but there was some flavor in them that was truly bizarre. it didn’t dominate the overall taste but it was enough to throw you off.

Mickey’s, otoh, I drank steadily for a few years:
·friday
·finish classes
·“donate” plasma (it was for pay)
·take free cash directly across 17th st. to the beer store
·6pack of Mickey’s “hand grenades” – short, wide green glass bottles – because the alcohol laws in Knoxville forbade sales of 40s.
·head to whichever rock show or party in the Fort (or both) that was going on.

presumably I got an extra buzz kicked in from the loss of plasma, but ultimately irrelevant since drinking a 6 of Mickey’s is gonna get you plenty nice, regardless.

oh, wow, I had no idea anyone outside of Knoxville knew that band whatsoever. It is possible I drank zima at their show. I mean, I definitely drank, and the timeline is right.

fucking lol. I remembered Bad Idea Jeans all these years, but had completely forgotten 3 legged. now we need Kris Kross to wear 3 legged jeans backwards. also, is that Maya Rudolph next to Chris Rock?

2 Likes