Sanjay Gupta: "I am doubling down" on medical marijuana

[Permalink]

Could you call it ā€œcannabisā€? The Mexican slang term ā€œmari-juanaā€ refers to the Virgin Mary. Itā€™s unconscionable that weā€™ve installed an ethnic slur into all our headlines. A 1920s dog-whistle term

3 Likes

Is he a parent?

13 Likes

Weā€™d need to find an alternative that is also an alliteration. The best I can think right now of is Therapeutic THC which also has huge problems.

I had the same thoughts regarding calling the documentary ā€œWeed;ā€ thatā€™s a bit of a loaded description.

Do you have a reference for that? The sources I found online list ā€˜marijuanaā€™ as having an uncertain origin. NPR has an interesting article here.

1 Like

He has three daughters. Now are you done keeping sick people in pain and dark people in prison ā€œBECAUSE OF THE CHILDRENā€?

EDIT: In scrolling down the homepage, I see this may have been in reference to outlandish comments recently made by DEA officials. If this is the case, good show, my bad. If not, ignore this edit.

From that free thing online:

Gupta is married to Rebecca Olson, a family law attorney. They were married in 2004 in a Hindu wedding ceremony. They live in Atlanta and have three daughters.

Edit: This is a reply to ā€œRenounā€ above, who asked if Gupta is a parent.

I always love Maui Wowie, cuz itā€™s like Mari- but itā€™s more Mau- so it slides off the tongue easier, and it would be hilarious to hear Wolf Blitzer talk about how Pussy Riot has incited massive Maui-Wowie demonstrations. That would be a killer sentence to ever hear.

2 Likes

I wish I could remember where I heard this, but somebody once told me ā€œif you want to tell a white American something is racist, youā€™d better have it in triplicate.ā€

The message: if itā€™s conceivably (Iā€™d say ā€œprobably,ā€ given this evidence) racist, especially on the highly racial (and detrimental to Latin America) issue of the war on drugs, and thereā€™s an easy alternative (ā€œcannabisā€), use the latter.

@awjt Maui Wowie is a name for only one strain. It would be like calling every beer a stout.

I think that ship has sailed. Besides, what makes the Virgin Mary an ethnic slur?

2 Likes

Now, I do not have a scooby about this feller, and his bona fides, but based on what Iā€™ve read, Iā€™m seeing this: ā€˜Since Iā€™ve been in a TV show, I am all over this ā€˜Medical Marijuanaā€™ shit. Can I be in more TV shows?ā€™.
Colour me cynicalā€¦

1 Like

He has said what wanted to be heard, when it wanted to be heard.

Dude, chill:

1 Like

Dude, read my edit

also donā€™t tell people to chill on issues of mass incarceration and serious medical illness. unless youā€™re just that cool.

except it grows kindā€™a easy ā€¦

When Mexicans say Mexicans attend church as reverently as they smoke their, uh, cannabis, this isnā€™t an ethnic slur? Tell me what religion you are, so I can name the street term for a drug after itā€¦

Youā€™d be surprised at the problems you can encounter (or maybe not. Hypothetically)

A lot of things grow quickly. ā€œWeedā€ implies that the abundance is unwanted, which contributes to the negative connotation it takes on when being used to describe cannabis.

Woopsie. I replied before your edit. I just thought that you had missed the joke and were going off the deep end.