Simple homebrew deodorant recipe

Given that it does not have to be visually perfect to work well, a single-pass will do a good job.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t aware there was any kind of spray version. Iā€™ve just been using the lump of alum that I initially bought for shaving (having since grown a beard), cost me like a fiver and has been going strong with about 2/3 of its original mass remaining over 3 years of use.

Alum works for me. I just wish the general consensus on it stopped wavering between ā€œsafeā€ and ā€œcancer! well, maybe, weā€™re not sure but donā€™t risk itā€. Maybe I looked in the wrong places.

Also, virgin coconut oil has proven in my experience to be an excellent one-ingredient ā€˜naturalā€™ hydrating thing for dry skin and hair if you donā€™t mind smelling faintly tropical. Not bad as a cooking oil either*, even if the supposed health benefits of lauric acid could use better confirmation.

Between that, Dr. Bronnerā€™s peppermint and the alum Iā€™m mostly good cosmetics-wise. I still like regular toothpaste and Proraso for shaving, though. Weā€™re not animals.**

*You might want to use separate containers for kitchen and bathroom use, because ew.
** Yes we are.

Thatā€™s all it takes for me. Plus, no meat-eating. Carnivores have that rank whiff when they walk by.

1 Like

Maybe I am a freak, but i stopped using deodorant about 15 years ago. and before you call me a hippie, I stopped smelling bad. I have asked people I trust to give me an honest opinion. My sweat gets a little musky if i am out on a hot day.

Maybe I am a freak or maybe rubbing concoctions on your armpits every day isnā€™t really helping anybody.

Lemon juice totally works. Just lemon juice.

www.kinkycurlfriend.com/natural-body/lemon-juice-deodorant

1 Like

I should have read and spoke more specifically - the ā€œCrystal Deodorantā€ found in stores is a different (milder?) aluminum salt, but relatively the same thing as shaving alum. Thatā€™s what I use and like.

I still get a bit odorous at the end of a hot day, but I prefer that to becoming odorous with oil, polymers, and added scents mixed in.

1 Like

Yes - what shaddak says - close cropping your pubes - upstairs & downstairs really works. If you do a rough-cut for appearance sake - this works - for me at least - just as well. Itā€™s easier, no skin irritation - women should consider the rough-cut as well - especially women 'cause anatomy. Razors & even electric razors can irritate oneā€™s pubes - but close-cropping with scissors - best of both.

If yaā€™ really are bent on the smooth shave, corn or potato starch (or whatever dry powder) really, really works well, even on the male-female wrinkled, fleshy parts. The starch works equally well with an electric or traditional razor. Starch is also great on the face, especially with electric razors.

For my face, I like to use this barber style stuff from The Body Shop - http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/men-product/mens-view-all/for-men-maca-root-shave-cream.aspx With the shaving brush.
And nothing works for my skin/hair other than a Fusion razor. I donā€™t care how much it costs compared to others, nothing else works for me. Besides, the blades last a long time. The big pack we get at Costco lasts my wife and I 6 months.
Iā€™m not prepared to talk about other 'scapingā€¦ :smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.