Slut-shaming smackdown, 1954 edition

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Well there’s 2 different ways of looking at it regarding her job. One is that she’s just doing the work, regardless of how unsavory it might be, and she doesn’t consider herself defined by the work… it’s just something she does and is therefore insulted that the boyfriend chooses to define her by her job. Since she clearly doesn’t.

And the other way of looking at it is that she feels empowered by the job, or feels some sense of pride, since it gives her the means to take control of her life and support her mother in a meaningful way that other jobs might not afford her. And the boyfriend’s comment demeans or insults her independence.

I’m not sure where i was going with this. Trying not to fall asleep at work so call it stream of conciousness i guess. Still, screw that guy girl… mmmmhmmm.

3 Likes

I say you go with Sartre’s take on it: You are what you do - not what you say you are.

You never hear about “male” sluts, and the shame they carry…

My coworker described her very handsome brother with Viking blood and the rest of his rugby team as “a bunch of male sluts.”

1 Like

That’s like my dad referring to “lady doctors”: since the default is one specific sex, you have to genderize the noun if you’re talking about a person of the other persuasion.

3 Likes

I’m probably going to regret this, but what is a “snapshot girl?”

There’s a hole in the wall
Where a man can see it all… And he’s got a 35mm camera and several rolls of film.

They worked in clubs and went from table to table like cigarette girls, but instead of selling smokes they offered to take your picture as a souvenir of your visit, kind of like an informal prom photo.

In the days before Polaroid instant cameras they either used an in-house darkroom or sent the film out to an all-night place to be developed so you could have the photo in your hands that night.

You see 'em in old movies sometimes.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.