DON’T JUDGE ME!!!

3 Likes

Mentioned before on BoingBoing but this one is a super ear worm:

Had this stuck in my head for weeks!

And now restuck…

Oh, and the Star Blazers theme that I watched practically religiously as a kid:

So militant!

9 Likes

Whenever anyone says “Greatest American Hero”, my brain instantly sings the whole damn song…

8 Likes

Ha! It’s funny that you said the later stuff is borderline disco, as I’m currently reading Peter Shapiro’s history of disco, Turn the Beat Around. One of the chapters opens with George Clinton excoriating disco!

1 Like

Something more current, I love the Game of Throne’s opening theme, with it’s weird time signature (and the map stuff is pretty cool, too):

7 Likes

This reminds me of Star Trek the motion picture, where Scotty and Kirk circle the Enterprise for 19 minutes, fawning.

3 Likes

Yeah, that scene was cool the first time if you haven’t seen the Enterprise in like 15 years.

But rewatching it you are like - OMG - let’s go!

2 Likes

I imagine the script meetings for Star Trek: The Motion Picture included this dialogue…

“How can we capitalize on the current popularity of space opera in films?”

“Well, Kubrick won an Oscar for 2001 by dragging every scene out until the audience was too dehydrated to know if it was awesome anymore.”

“Do it!”

8 Likes

If we’re going to have Look Around You, might as well have the Tomorrow’s World theme(s):

2 Likes

I was a weird kid. (Surprising, I know…) This was always one of the most evocative themes, though the programme was always much more boring!

2 Likes

OK, going hardcore UK 60’s nostalgia here.

Okay, 70s.

And imma throw these in.

5 Likes

And, getting away from the horse theme,

Write the theme tune, sing the theme tune…

1 Like

Oh, another one: The Odd Couple

6 Likes

Now I am watching Star Blazers on youtube despite the dvd’s being in the other room next to Thundaar (not so much a theme song but memorable intro):

@monkeyoh Rocket Robin hood was a weird one - Canadian production with US distribution (no idea how extensive). Some of the people went on to do Spiderman I seem to recall. It also had a strange format heavily interrupted with small vignettes explaining the characters:

1 Like
1 Like

I didn’t know they made a show of this…

I have a comic he appears in. IIRC he is a Neal Adams creation.

7 Likes

One of my favorite PBS intros ever:

6 Likes