Spy animals of the Cold War

[Permalink]

The owls cats are not what they seem…

1 Like

We haven’t progressed all that far looks like to me

1 Like

That’s one place I haven’t really seen Cold War historians go – into the weirder side of the Cold War, other than looking at the role of psychedelics. Jon Ronson wrote “The Men Who Stare at Goats”, but that’s kind of about it. Historians tend to stick with the more traditional areas of study, and I’ve kind of found Cold War historians, as a whole tend to be generally conservative leaning, not politically mind you, but in they topics they choose and how they frame their arguments.

This is an interesting part of the Cold War, to be sure.

Don’t laugh. Russian spies would have done a lot more damage to American interests back in the 60s if it hadn’t been for the counterintelligence efforts of a certain moose and squirrel.

10 Likes

How quaint. Now we have or soon will have fly sized drones instead used by our NSA overlords to spy on us all in the name of T E R R O R I S M.

It wasn’t the Trojan Cat team’s fault that the lads over in Shrink Ray Development dropped the ball.

I had a CIA friend who was stationed in Iran back in the early 50s. He ran into all kinds of weirdness. The Russians, he said, had sent a trained dog with a camera to do some spying for them. I gather the dog wound up in a safe kennel and was retired from the game.

Didn’t Qarlo Clobregnny report to a spy cat in the Outer Limits?
http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi38209305/

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.