The entire Marvel Cinematic Universe, ranked

(Thanks for your comments and replies - I want to emphasize that all of this is said in the spirit of talking about fun movies) I liked the Mandarin reveal because it thumbed its nose at a lot of standard villain tropes, but the rest of the movie seemed to do the exact opposite. Suddenly we’re back to Cute 80’s Kids, and mopey Tony Stark just didn’t do much for me. And the legions of robot suits just punctuates the big thing that an Iron Man movie should be playing down - that the pilot is worthless and the weak link of the whole idea. Tony Stark is the thing that holds those entire movies together, and I think factoring him out makes the premise fall flat.

2 Likes

I don’t really agree with the list (outside of #1 and #2)… but I love that it exists. I, for one, have no idea why so many commenters loved the Thor films. Thor is one of my favorite comics (The epic Lee/Kirby and Simonson runs, particularly)-- and I still found the these movies dull and uninspired. Chris Hemsworth is a perfect fit for the brash young Thor, though.

Iron Man is not quite up there as an entire film, but the first half hour/45 minutes has got to be some of the finest storytelling Marvel has done to date. That alone would put it much higher on my list.

But has anyone ranked their butts?

4 Likes

Nice to see the Captain America films taking space at or near the top here. I’ve long had a feeling that they’re the ones that will stand the test of time. Contrariwise, I’d put all the Iron Man films as well as Guardians of the Galaxy lower on the list, as they seem like slick-but-empty, by-the-numbers films. As soon as their credits started rolling, I could already barely remember them.

On the other hand, one becomes a professional reviewer when someone thinks one can essentially be right with their opinion.

1 Like

The Mandarin, eh…

Ever since “Batman and Robin” the subject of superhero butts has been dropped from polite society.

2 Likes

Aren’t the X-men, Blade, and Daredevil part of the Marvel universe? Why aren’t they included?

Heck, Spiderman and the Fantastic Four for that matter. Are you just paying attention to the work of the one studio? Seems like if you’re going to try to rank all the recent Marvel superhero movies, you might as well do all of them.

1 Like

What about Spiderman, or the X-Men?

This is about the Marvel Cinematic Universe, otherwise known as Earth-199999.

The 20th Century Fox and Sony films are not part of this. For example, the X-Men films are part of Earth-10005.

2 Likes

Did they actually come up with in-multiverse canon reasons for the forbidden crossovers? That’s kind of genius.

I always thought it amusing that Spiderman, The Fantastic Four, The X-Men and who knowns how many other New York-based heroes just let the city go to hell when it’s an Avengers-jurisdiction villain doing the destroying. Union rules, y’know.

5 Likes

I thought that was Groot?

3 Likes

I thought it was Corpsman Dey.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/marvelmovies/images/a/a0/Rhomann_Dey.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width/280?cb=20140219231012

Highlander is awful all the way through. Its only saving grace is a Queen soundtrack that you can buy and listen to while doing anything else.

Masters of the Universe on the other hand is awful most of the time, but is the only place you can see a master of the craft like Frank Langella act complete circles around a muscled plank of wood while dressed like a halloween chandelier.

2 Likes

Hahaha. Euansmith, you made my morning. Where are these shorts coming from?!

1 Like

I googled things like “Marvel One-Shot” until I hit the jackpot :wink:

Aw, Machine Man has that whole Kirby-Kubrick-Clarke thing going for him.

I really like Agents of SHIELD for what it is: A really great procedural set in a superhero universe. It’s fun. Plus I’ve adored Clark Gregg for many years now. I really never tire of him on my screen.

1 Like

The one-shots are a lot of fun and easy to find. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1put4y_5-2014-marvel-one-shot-all-hail-the-king-subtitulos-espanol_shortfilms