The genre-defining video games we forgot

[Permalink]

2 Likes

I spent hours and hours of my childhood playing Adventure. Loved that game. Was fun to see it again. It was my favorite for a good year and half (1980-81.) My brother and I would get into fights over which one could play it. Good times!

Also, Missile Command, which came out just after Adventure did, also had an Easter Egg with the developer’s initials, RF. My brother discovered that one as well as the one in Adventure.

1 Like

seems a little console centric. I suppose what we considered adventure games–Zork, or what we considered RPGs-- the Bard’s Tale (or, if you take rolepaying seriously, Ultima vi and beyond) were simply outmatched in the marketplace.

Actually, in my college days we did plug our Atari ST’s into a network and play Midi Maze. It was damn fun.

1 Like

fwiw, they did release Adventure for the iphone/ipad. as far as i recall, it’s an exact port, too: the sounds and graphics are perfect. i was amazed how quickly i remembered everything i needed to do to win.

SURPRISE BONUS ROUND [NO googling]: NAME ALL THE DRAGONS! GO

1 Like

Ah, yes, Adventure - the game wherein a wayward square tries to evade multicolored pregnant ducks. Also, where is E.T. (for the Atari 2600) on that list? It was the first in the increasingly popular “colossally awful” video game genre.

3 Likes

When I got bored of the game, I used to entertain the adults in the room (who completely sucked an anything above difficulty 1) by going on difficulty 3 and fucking around torturing that asshole bat.

Lock Bat in Castle.

Catch and Release Bat on the Same Screen.

Make Bat give up Chalice for the stupid ass Magnet.

I trolled the fuck out of that bat.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Finally found some time to watch this video. This is really good! The presenter’s funny and he’s obviously done lots of research. And thank fuck for a video that doesn’t ignore European gaming history for once.

On a sidenote, around 19mins in he talks about 3D on the Atari ST, a computer that didn’t have a floating point processor. Amazingly enough even the Playstation, well into the era of textured 3D polygons, didn’t have floating point–everything was still done using fixed point arithmetic. If you’ve ever done anything with computer graphics, try imagine doing it all with integers.

That wasn’t as unpleasant as you might think. The lack of perspective-correct texture mapping and Z-buffer caused rather more headaches.

Still, not having to write your own rasteriser from scratch was a real luxury.

1 Like

Somebody give a spoiler — what are those games?

2 Likes

I don’t have time to watch this now, but I hope Star Raiders (1979) gets some recognition.

yep, i did, too. there was some glitch where the bat could carry you around, like it did the dragons, too.

That happened to me all the time. My brother would laugh so hard at that. Thanks so much for the tip on the iphone/ipad game - I had no idea! Well, there goes my weekend… :smiley:

As far as naming all the dragons. Ha ha! My memory is not that good. Can I blame it on being in my forties?

ha! obviously, i am in my 40s too. i know Yorgle (yellow), Grundle (green), and Rindle (red)… but i can’t recall black off the top of my head. so i fail my own pop quiz.

1 Like

At LepreCon in 1988, the video gaming room had 6 or 8 STs networked with MidiMaze. That was a BLAST.

I bought my first 1200 baud modem the same day I played 16 player Midi Maze. I brought it up on wiki the minute they mentioned FPS right at the beginning. I was about to post all pissed if they hadn’t focused on my dear ST.

Honestly it would have been better at 30 minutes *max.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.