The history of the stereotyped "Asian" melodic riff

@Bobo & @Eksrae Thanks for pointing those out. :smile:

The Yoshida Bros. were great, Iā€™ll have to look into some of their of their other work. Though for my tastes the shamisens got drown out by the other instruments a bit much at times. But maybe Iā€™m just not a fan of that style accompaniment.

The Gayageum playing on the other hand was a really satisfying fusion (IMHO).

1 Like

Donā€™t tell Paul Simon you know that.

1 Like

And it seems like it was DESIGNED with that sort of play that Hendrix had to coax out of the guitarā€¦Getting that tremello by adjusting the tension on the other side of the bridgeā€¦I wonder if she had to use some sort of alternate tuningā€¦

Theyā€™ve got a fair amount of work thatā€™s mostly shamisen with little accompaniment. That one is one of the big flashy/fairly westernized ones that draws people in though :smile: .

Well, with a name like ā€œSol Bloomā€, Iā€™m pretty sure he had Middle-Eastern roots of some sort, if not of the Arabian kindā€¦

1 Like

That approach has been both formalized and generalized :smile:

Just gotta say ā€” I love this entire thread!

2 Likes

Certainly possible, though Wikipedia says his parents were Polish-Jewish immigrants.

I suspect sheā€™s not tuning the gayageum specially. Most of what she does on the other side of the bridge is less getting a vibrato (tremolo is either a rapid repeat of the pitch or a rapid pulsation of the pitchā€™s amplitude) than sharping the pitch to bring it in tune, although she does add pitch bends and so forth as well. Iā€™m pretty sure that the gayageum is a diatonic instrument, so sheā€™d need to do that to get chromatic notes.

Youā€™ll see it here very clearly, near the end where she adjusts her lowest string in a repeating riff. She isnā€™t getting a pitch bend or vibrato - the note is coming out pretty cleanly.

Iā€™m not quite sure what sheā€™s doing with her left hand when she takes out her pick and strums - damping some of the strings so that only the chord tones sound, maybe.

I didnā€™t mean that she was tuning it while playing, I was wondering whether to play western music the gayageum had been tuned differentlyā€¦

Dunno, to be honest. I suspect itā€™s going to depend on the musician and the circumstances. The way the gayageum is tuned is by moving the bridges, so itā€™s a case of setting it up early and leaving it during a gig. Iā€™m pretty sure the standard tuning is going to be a heptatonic scale in something closer to just intonation than equal temperament. That can be usable as is with a bit of on-the-fly adjustment (and will sound very sweet in diatonic solo work). Whether she changes to equal temperament for Western music, I donā€™t know. Itā€™s a little hard to tell with the constant left hand adjustments.

Whether theyā€™ve brought their concert pitch for traditional music to a=440 is something else I donā€™t know, but that wide-bodied instrument sheā€™s using is specifically for contemporary music, so itā€™s likely that she, at least, has. (The traditional gayageum has either 12 or 21 strings.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.