Charming Song about Asian Girl - Video NSFW

Just saw this on the old twitters via FilmCritHULK.

Totally not racist, according to the band. Anyone with a brain would probably disagree.

1 Like

Before I even check out the band: Yes, this is crypto-racist, targetting 15-25 year old males. It’s also infantile.

The “catchy” refrain is along the lines of Caribbean Queen, but the mumbled verses in between surely contain oblique references - I couldn’t actually make them out,

The boy-bandish dancing by 35+ white males looks like parody, which would be a signal to a fanbase / potential fans that they’re not serious about the surface-level meaning, and indicating that there is “more” to it than that.

The band is all-white. They’re punkish looking, but not necessarily so much that the average viewer would easily identify the dissonance between their appearance and the treatment of the subject matter.

They’re pretending to slip-stream in behind songs like Little China Girl, acting all like “this is just another honest idolisation”

The gnomes obviously mean something, but I don’t know what - help please?

I’m guessing the rest of the bands repertoire is either in more heavy turf, or edges on it in the same apparently ambiguous way to avoid censorship, but “cleverly” retain appeal to the bigoted targets.

Obviously, the girl is portrayed in an old-fashioned she-devil type way.

Overall, a dull and bigoted marketing exercise.

That said, the girl was beautiful, and I trust she wasn’t familiar with the intent of the portrayal.

My chinese wife would watch 5 seconds of this and declare it racist.

And why aren’t other BB’ers on this? Tough audience. Aren’t their any Asian BB’ers?

Edit: Holy rainbows, I just read the lyrics. That has to be illegal! The stuff they mumbled, jebus, that’s so out of order!

This guy is pretty sure it’s racist (and I agree!)

Angry Asian Man

http://blog.angryasianman.com/2013/07/okay-so-this-is-pretty-much-worst-thing.html

I don’t think it’s so much crypto-racist as racist racist. I was hoping she would get out of the tub and drown them in the birdcage.

2 Likes

Actually yeah, I was too kind. I couldn’t discern the lyrics. It’s plain straight-up racist.

Of course, there’s this:

Which isn’t really about being Japanese, but whatever. Any excuse to post this video :slight_smile:

I think Kirsten’s wasted on movies. She could fill a wonderful niche in Japan, exporting enjoyable videos to the world.

1 Like