Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" as a spaghetti western theme

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/20/michael-jacksons-billie-je.html

3 Likes

31 Likes

11 Likes

A pretty rad rendition. However, he doesn’t kick as much ass as the Six String Samurai named Buddy

9 Likes

The Samurai Guitarist

His name precedes him.

4 Likes

Needs more mission bell

8 Likes

This is genius.

3 Likes

Not bad, but quite honestly I believe it lacks brass and/or harmonica (played as a droning wail) to really be classified as “spaghetti”. As it is, it actually reminds more of Hollywood westerns (or at least the more modern ones).

4 Likes

"You come all this way out saying squat and now you’re trying to tell me that a '56 Chevy could beat a '48 Buick in a dead quarter mile?

I liked you better when you weren’t saying squat kid… Go to bed"

Glad I am not the only one in the world who understands the love of Six String Samurai

4 Likes

And this isn’t cultural appropriation becaaaause …?

Because it’s an homage; a different version of an iconic song which openly acknowledges not only the original musician but also the composer. No one is trying to take credit for MJ’s work as their own original creation.

As much as race is intertwined with so many of society’s problems, it’s not always the motivating factor behind every endeavor.

It’s important to remember that, especially since arbitrary accusations only make it harder to differentiate when behavior actually is racially motivated.

6 Likes

Hmm… let’s assume you’re not kidding/being sarcastic.

I’m guessing (based on my innate hapa radar) that the esteemed samurai guitarist is also hapa (i.e. 1/2 japanese, 1/2 caucasian).

So, is it “cultural appropriation” because his japanese half has chosen the title “samurai”, or because his caucasian 1/2 is riffing on a western?

(or is it because he’s doing his own version of a song by a african american that is a huge part of popular culture?)[and if so, are people only allowed to cover songs by people of their own race? That itself seems kinda… well… racist.]

Or we could go with Meliz’ sensible answer that this is an homage to both MJ’s song, and the western style.

5 Likes

Moriconi is Italian. Are we worrying about appropriating off Italians now?

1 Like

The Final Countdown/spaghetti mash-up that he did hit that sweet spot between incongruous and yet somehow perfect. It’s cheesily dramatic in a way that fit. Its viral success probably jumped him a level in youtube fame. This one was pretty flat and a bit of a slog, because without MJ injecting pure MJ magic into it, it’s actually a really onotonous and shapeless song. This guy does some fun stuff, but this felt like reaching for a repeat. I hope this isn’t the early signs of a rut…

I’m a supporter of SamuraiGuitarist on Patreon, so I suppose I’m a little biased, but he’s very diverse in performance, from original compositions to making a guitar out of freaking hockey sticks reminding us Canadians that the greatest game really does have a place in everything after all. :wink:

1 Like

This is clearly a subject you feel strongly about. I suggest that you send us frequent despatches from the front as you fight this righteous battle against the forces of whoever it is you’re fighting against. I await the first missive with breath abated.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.