The Internet may be producing an excess of penguin sweaters

Personally I prefer them canned in mustard sauce

1 Like

Penguin confit? Well, Iā€™ll try it, absolutely.

1 Like

Well, as mentioned above, at least in certain parts those pop tabs do serve a noble purpose.

Yup - perfect Internet meme; cute animals in need of help. A lot of my FB friends reposted the Guardian story, but as with most of the UK tabloid articles, I thought ā€œcaveat lectorā€. Yes, I realize that your post was more a caution than an account of the current situation, but still. People do react passionately to a good story - witness the proliferation of ā€œIf I can get 10,000 likes, I can get this life-saving surgeryā€ social media appeals. Unlike those, the penguin story doesnā€™t seem to enrich anyone in particular, but trolls and scammers also notice this stuff. Maybe thereā€™s a market for marked-up penguin-sized sweaters?

You know, internet appeals might be a force for good in a world where individual voices seem to be unheard by the powers that be. But you know theyā€™re gonna be mined by grifters and scammers. Dunno where the solution lies. Crowd-sourcing has been quite successful in many cases. But perhaps the folks that contribute to crowd-sourced projects are more internet savvy than your aunt/uncle/old high-school pal knitting a sweater for a penguin.

(btw, Iā€™m in the Twin Cities - if you guys ever have any sort of local BoingBoing meetup, Iā€™d like to get the chance to chat with you.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.