The magic tidier KonMarie teaches how to fold your T-shirts

[Permalink]

1 Like

Another strategy is to not own more clothes than your drawers can hold.

2 Likes

What about tshirts on a shelf. There is no way to easily get to the anything but the one on top. Any neatness gurus got some good ideas?

That second video on how to fold a t-shirt is fine, if you’ve got all day to fold t-shirts. I don’t. I came across this video about 12 years ago, and have been folding my short-sleeve t-shirts this way (except with one extra fold) ever since. Once you really get the hang of it, you can literally (and I literally mean literally) fold a laid-out t-shirt in 3 seconds.

2 Likes

If you have a lot of t-shirts stored in a drawer vertically, won’t pulling one out also pull out (or at least half-pull out) the two shirts on either side of it?

Also, this doesn’t have much use for me because unless it’s a special occasion, I just pull the top shirt off the pile. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can go to hell, sir. You can go straight to hell and not pass “Go” and not collect 200 t-shirts.

Well, my wife “doesn’t work” and stays at home with the three kids. This sound appropriate. I’ll suggest it to her, and see how she responds!

UPDATE: [nursing a black eye] She took that rather well, all things considered.

Clean laundry goes on the bottom, so I can always take from the top. A big help when the room is dark and you’re trying not to wake the sleeping baby. Not much help with color combinations, though.

5 Likes

If you were curious about that KonMarie book, I bought and read it so you don’t have to. Ready? Here is the content of the entire book: get rid of most of your stuff and then the stuff that remains will stay neat. Maybe it could have been fluffed out to an article in a magazine. But reading the book was like reading the same sentence slightly rephrased several hundred times. It was pretty cool seeing her fold the T-shirt though.

5 Likes

Exactly. Pick up the pile, put the clean shirts underneath. That way all shirts get worn, eventually. And since I only ever wear jeans, no need to worry about colour combinations.

1 Like

I love the sincere conviction in many of these how-to videos. Amaze your friends and change your life with these simple techniques! Come to our seminar! I saw this one this morning, and really feel like I know too much about coat-hangers at this point.

2 Likes

So was this segment fimed in a “How to Be a Good Baby-voiced Housewife” class?

1 Like

That was actually quite informative! And I wasn’t even mad about the auto-play commercial first, since it was so cute.

1 Like

Color combinations are easy. Techie t-shirts are almost all black, which goes with everything. Hippie t-shirts are tie-died, which goes with everything. Most of the other shirts also go ok with blue or black jeans.

Ah, but: sweaters.

Yeah, that’s the way you do it. KonMarie’s method is wrong in every direction. Takes too long. And also puts the front of the t-shirt on the inside, where it’s more likely to get wrinkled, and also prevents easy identification of which t-shirt it is without unfolding it.

Vertical storage is a fine idea, but Art’s got a better folding school here.

Thanks for posting this. I didn’t use this particular technique, but since you had posted it, this weekend when I was organizing my drawers I remembered that they have all these videos showing how to cleverly fold things. I decided to look up a technique for folding panties, and I discovered that the technique can be used for any kind of clothing. I folded everything in my drawer - sweaters, slippery tech clothing, shirts,panties - everything except pants - using this method. I ended up with a bunch of lumps and I love it. I’ve never been able to truly organize my exercise clothing. And big items like sweaters always seem to overtake the drawer. But now I have these sturdy little lumps that are clearly defined even for the things that like to lose their fold, and I don’t have to stack them any special way.

Here’s the technique: For shirts, skirts, and sweaters it works best to start with the bottom (wider) end. Sometimes I have to play around with the width of the three folds depending on the size of the garment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.