The price of a plane

[Permalink]

Does that include shipping?

I wonder if they accept Bitcoin.

3 Likes

If you have to ask the price, you probably can’t afford it…

3 Likes

If there were pics, they could include “Similar to illustration”, or “Serving suggestion”.

6 Likes

1/3 down payment, additional 1/3 due at the end of assembly, prior to painting, and the balance due before you fly away with it. (I took the Boeing factory tour)

4 Likes

I love that the 767-2C has a star by it and “Call for pricing.”

So you called, right? I mean, that’s kind of your job.

5 Likes

Given the time between purchase and delivery, I’m going to go with “no”. But on the plus side, it’s self-shipping.

3 Likes

But apparently they won’t deliver directly to your house… what a jip!

2 Likes

Why, yes, batteries are included.

1 Like

I wonder how many tickets an airline needs to sell before it breaks even on a new 737? They seat somewhere between 126 and 149 passengers, and burn lets say 4,000 gallons of fuel on a trip. Lets assume the average airline ticket costs $177. Lets further assume that Jet-A costs around $6.35. I think the crew consists of a pilot, copilot, and two flight attendants. Assuming the Captain is paid $150,000 and the copilot makes $50,000 and the two flight attendants make $23,000 each. Lets assume the crew makes two flights per day. That makes the overhead cost of each flight around $25,736. Assuming you have a full compliment of passengers in the 126 seat model they collectively pay $22,302.

Ouch. Obviously the relatively long haul trip I worked out doesn’t jive with the price of the average ticket. People fly lots and lots of commuter flights.

Fuel costs alone dwarfed everything else in there. Assuming you only burn 2,000 gallons the numbers work out a lot better: $13,036 overhead, for a tidy profit minus the billion other expenses that go into an airline flight, like airport fees, administrative overhead, profit, the people who work the counter, baggage handlers, aircraft maintenance, interest on the loan you took out for the plane, and so on. Even assuming none of that matters and you have these nice full and short flights, that plane will need to make 8,202 flights to pay itself off(!!). That’s 11 years if you fly it twice a day every day, and that’s with the generous scenario.

This is why I’m not starting my own airline. Those are grim numbers.

6 Likes

I’m surprised that they don’t mention the re-stocking fee for returns.

2 Likes

Just curious – isn’t that gyp, as in gypsy?

I’m off to make some popcorn!

2 Likes

FWIW, none of the big airlines pay list price. Discounts of over 40% are common.

In practice, Boeing offers large discounts, and no airline pays list prices.

Actual prices paid by any individual customer are never released officially, but filings with financial regulators and information from market insiders point to standard discounts of around 45 percent, and even higher for large, strategic orders.

2 Likes

Expedia says that the US Airways shuttle flight (DCA-LGA) can be had for $179 round trip. It’s a 67 minute flight.
They use an airbus A319, and the flight distance is 215 miles. There’s are flights on the hour from 6 am to 10 pm.

Maximum fuel load is 6400 gallons, maximum range is 4300 miles.

But there’s no need to buy 6400 gallons of fuel for a trip that needs considerably less than that.

this articlecalculates the cost of fuel to transport a passenger from London to Dubai on an A319-- it works out to15 kgs of fuel costing about $11.69. (Jet-A is 3.08 kg/gallon). And that’s a 579 dollar round trip.

1 Like

Turbojet engines are inherently inefficient. Turboprop and turbofan engines are supposed to be more fuel efficient, but American airlines usually only use them for shorter flights. I believe certain Soviet aircraft, such as the Tu-95, used supersonic turboprop engines because they were fast enough and they were more fuel-efficient than comparable turbojet engines.

[Oops. most jets are turbofans these days.]

1 Like

http://www.gulfstream.com/preowned/

I wonder what a Boeing Black Friday event would look like. The first 30 people through the door get a 737 for 50 mil?

3 Likes

Turbojet engines are indeed inefficient at subsonic speeds. However, I don’t know of many airlines that still operate planes with turbojet engines in the US though. Maybe a few contractors with a DC-9s. Probably some small operations in Africa/Asia mainly.

The Tu-95 bomber can make its prop tips go supersonic if the throttle’s all the way up, yes, but that has the consequence of making it the loudest military aircraft currently in operation (submarine hydrophones can supposedly pick it up if one flies overhead).

The airliner derivative, the Tu-114, never actually had the props going supersonic during normal operations, though. Too much cabin noise.

2 Likes