The Sun publishes 1933 film of Edward VIII teaching Nazi salute to Queen

[Read the post]

1 Like

It’s no wonder Winston Churchill had the guy shipped off to the Bahamas during WW2. An appeaser, that one.

8 Likes

Obligatory preamble: don’t buy the Sun, but …

These photos are absolutely in the public interest. They shows unambiguously what history is and what it means. I am at times terrified of what is happening in Europe right now and trying to convince myself that we’re not seeing a re-creation of the conditions that allowed Hitler and Mussolini to come to power. But seeing the Queen of England innocently throwing a Nazi salute makes that sooo much harder to do.

21 Likes

To be fair to The Royals there, the Roman/Bellamy salute was quite common in the Americas and Europe at the time. It was a few years later before most people realized what trouble the Fascists and Nazis were, and made every effort to distance themselves from it.

It only became “the Nazi salute” during World War II.

40 Likes

Stop press: open Nazi supporter (the future) Edward VIII was a Nazi supporter.

When wasn’t this public knowledge?

22 Likes

Remember the Nazis weren’t super bad in 1933. In fact lots of people were enamored with them. This was before they got all invade-y and holocaust-y.

12 Likes

Slow news day in England, that was real news 82 years ago…

8 Likes

David Icke now has explosive evidence of the hatchling in training.

2 Likes

Hey, the queen and her family are really from the German House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha after all. Sure, they tried to hide the fact by the PR move of renaming themselves “the House of Windsor”, during anti-German hysteria in the First World War but a British royal family, they ain’t.

5 Likes

Apart from anything else, fuck off with with the fucking links to the fucking sun. fuck right the fucking fuck off.

41 Likes

That’s about five generations out of date. In Victorian times it was true, but now the ratio is something like 1/256.

3 Likes

I don’t know if that’s quiet true. Hitler had already spent time in jail prior to this for his attempted coup, so people knew him. And 33 was the year of the actual coup after a fire in the Reichstag in February. I’m fairly certain, given that Hitler’s book had been in circulation for a while by then, and people understood his stance, especially vis-a-vis the “Jewish Problem” (as it was known and talked about by many people, including many Zionists), there were those who worried about him and what he meant. There were boycotts when he was appointed chancellor - including in the US:

Plus, it was within a year or two that they began to pass what would collectively be known as the Nuremberg laws, which would restrict Jewish life in Germany. And I want to say in 33 they began to crack down hard on communists and unions in Germany, almost immediately (blaming them for the Reichstag fire).

11 Likes

Including Philip of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-GlĂĽcksburg?

(Not that I think their Germanic heritage is especially relevant)

Yeah, but remember antisemitism wasn’t exactly unique to Germany. And in 1933 they hadn’t taken a lot of actions against them yet, other than propaganda. Remember, the reason so many Jews ended up in Poland was it was one of the few places that let them in.

Some of the Royals were supposedly sympathetic to the Nazis, including King Edward and the Duke of Windsor. Henry Ford and Charles Lindbergh were both known to have ties to the Nazis pre-war.

As bad a the American depression was, the German one at the same time was much worse. I have postage stamps from the era and you can see how the stamps were printed in increasingly larger and larger amounts due to rampant inflation. Eventually they printed just blank stamps that new amounts could be printed on in black ink. I think I have one that is 100 Million Marks.

So the one thing the Nazis did do was give the Germans a scape goat and the new industrial war machine did help launch them out of the depression. Which for some elites in the west as an admirable task. Again, the anti-Jewish rhetoric wasn’t as shocking as what it would be today, and while there were anti-fascists and pro-Jewish groups banging alarm bells, a lot of people didn’t hear them. When Germany began their invasions, most people in the west lost their taste for them, and that is when you started to see the Swastika being removed from buildings that was used for decoration (it was a popular art deco design) and like the Navajo and other tribes agreed to stop using it in their art.

10 Likes

It’s not about the kids, it’s about the parents. What was their context? Oh wait, maybe it is about the kids…

2 Likes

Hitler was seen as a real go-getter who would crush the trade unions. Hitler was obsessed with the annihilation of France, not England. A good bit of Mien Kampf is about how England and Germany should be natural allies against France, and Hitler felt that England had maintained respectable levels of racial purity. Also, Hitler was a monarchist who loved the idea of royalty. I have absolutely no doubt that Adolph would have cut a deal with England and grandfathered in the royal family as, at a minimum, “Honorary Aryans” (Ehrenarier).

Meanwhile Hitler enjoyed good support in the US. American antisemitism was strong, and Jews were described in terms familiar to anyone watch Fox news today. They were disloyal alien infiltrators who would murder children, bugger your sister, sell drugs, outlaw Christmas, and destroy marriage. They were a super boogie man that combined everything modern conservatives fear about Mexicans, homosexuals, Muslims. atheists, and liberals in general. Bear in mind that the Nazis got a lot of their antisemitism from the insane publications of Henry Ford. All of this changed quite suddenly on Pearl Harbor Day.

12 Likes

It is still not uncommon to see the story of Edward VIII presented as “the romantic who renounced the throne to be with the woman he loved”, with no mention of the reality (Nazi forced out of office to protect the country). I was taught the first version as a kid;'I had to discover the reality for myself.

12 Likes

Nonsense, Prince Phillip is of pure greek ancestry, with a bit of Danish thrown in.

1 Like

Tsk, I really expected better from the esteemed house of Saxe-Coburg und Gotha.

Victora was a Hanover.