Top Gear team moves to Amazon

Doors of a Billionaire

5 Likes

theres nothing more Boingboing than explosive bolts.

1 Like

So will Hulk Hogan be joining them as well?

2 Likes

I would like a show like Top Gear but with trains instead and really sedate, rational hosts.

4 Likes

I think they call that golf.

4 Likes

Well, the relentless diet of belittling women, people of colour, other cultures, foreigners and non English upper middle class men for a start. Allied to the pushing of a consumerist, elitist capitalist agenda, a dismissive belittling and hatred of cyclists, anyone whose eating habits aren’t solely large quantities of meat preferably from endangered species killed and or raised in the most inhumanity manner possible (and yet they still hate the French, how’s that?) etc etc. etc. but I guess the moment when they jumped the shark for me was after a segment when they had the “royal” navy or army or something on one of their jaunts (I.e. Like Hollywood action movies it was sponsored by the military industrial complex) and they paused for a serious moment to lament that the (labour) government wasn’t providing our boys with enough modern expensive equipment in their (imperialistic) invasion and occupation of Afghanistan.

But yeah, I can fully understand how you and your fellow travellers can find that apolitical. Not a WTF moment for me at all.

4 Likes

I don’t believe such a show exists. Maybe this, but it’s not like Top Gear and I wouldn’t call Michael Portillo rational.

1 Like

The national rail museum blew my mind.

http://www.nrm.org.uk/

Quite honestly, some of that is exactly why “Top Gear” is so popular.

1 Like

[quote=“robertmckenna, post:26, topic:62794”]
but I guess the moment when they jumped the shark for me was after a segment when they had the “royal” navy or army or something on one of their jaunts (I.e. Like Hollywood action movies it was sponsored by the military industrial complex) and they paused for a serious moment to lament that the (labour) government wasn’t providing our boys with enough modern expensive equipment in their (imperialistic) invasion and occupation of Afghanistan.
[/quote]Well, seeing as how the government sent them in with pathetically outdated equipment, then yeah, that’s a fucking valid point whether you approve of the war or not.

Guess that time they drove around in the new Moon Rover and lamenting the fact that the US government cut funding to the point where this marvel of modern technology will never touch the moon makes Top Gear raving liberal nutjobs.

4 Likes

but age-ist is cool. Yeah. Thanks for playing.

and smelled of ready rubbed and whiskey and stale urine

I think maybe it’s a bit much to blame them for the state of your living room.

5 Likes

Like the presenters schtick, like the presenters attitudes, like their casual misogyny, like their racism, like their jokes.

And yes, it’s pretty normal to find old jokes less funny. I think the actual presenters aren’t that physically old. I mean the Hammond one is, I just checked, a few months younger than me. The attitudes, the cockstroking imperialism etc. they are old, tired, and should have been retired after the Boer war.

2 Likes

I know you Are, but what about me! Yeah, the old jokes. They are just the best aren’t they?

I’m guessing you don’t know Chris Evans

1 Like

No, both points are coherent for far right, imperialistic, authoritarian, militarists… They want whitey on the moon FFS.

But the comment was about whether they pushed politics at you: they do. All the time. Glad that’s cleared up and we all agree. The thing is they don’t do “political” comedy. They do comedy which pretends not to be political, but is very much so and is much less funny for that. Or maybe, which I think, when the humour is fresh you can look past the politics, when it is rotten the whole fucking thing stinks.

3 Likes

I know ya’ll live in a simplistic world where anyone with any unpleasant beliefs is simply an uncomplicated bad person, but Clarkson and friends are hellaciously entertaining and pull off a great show that millions enjoy. It is possible to have some racist beliefs, be a scoundrel, and still a hell of an entertainer. Clarkson proves it every time out.

3 Likes

That’s called Eisenbahn-Romantik, but unfortunately you’ll have to learn German.

2 Likes

Not really.

Sometimes Clarkson can be funny, other times he is button-pushy and unwatchable. Hammond and May are usually more entertaining without him.

2 Likes

19 seasons!