Triumphant Tories vow to ram through mass spying bill -- you can stop them!

[Permalink]

I find this even more concerning (from their manifesto as linked from the article):

The next Conservative Government will scrap the Human Rights Act, and introduce a British Bill of Rights. This will break the formal link between British courts and the European Court of Human Rights, and make our own Supreme Court the ultimate arbiter of human rights matters in the UK.

Translation: Britain will proudly proclaim that, according to the letter of the law, the human rights situation in Britain is officially worse than the one in Russia.

(Of course, the letter of the law and how the law is applied by someone like Putin are two different things. But on paper, Russia accepts the judgments of the court.)

Rejecting the authority of the ECHR is, as far as I can tell, also in breach of Article 6 of the Treaty on European Union, but that might be a matter of hair-splitting for some other court to decide.

3 Likes

I’ll be watching what David Davis does with interest.

1 Like

Is he standing for the Tooting Popular Front?

I was just coming here to mention this.

It’s totally cool though, because they want a referendum to see if the UK stays in the EU anyway! So they could have control of all the human rights they want and no pesky oversight committee pointing out that actually the right to trial and needing to prove a person guilty was a good thing. It’s okay though, they’d only use it for the “terror suspects”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.