Tug-a-Jug, treat dispensing dog toy

[Permalink]

As a cat owner, this notion of tying food to play perplexes me.

Food is food and toys are… well, cardboard boxes, I guess.

Another one? This is like the tenth doggy toy this year. I want to know how much you’re being paid to shill for Big Doggy Toys.

I buy all my dog toys and review them after my dogs play with them. I have 4 dogs and 1 cat.

Enjoy!

Sure, sure, the climate change deniers claim to feed gasoline to their dogs too, and I hear Big Tobacco is being propped up by dogs who smoke.

My dogs (mini doxies) don’t like this toy at all. They hate putting stuff in their mouth, so they try to always pick things up with just their front teeth (even balls). I found they wouldn’t play with it alone at all, they would quickly get bored and ignore it. Pushing it around didn’t dispense anything like the roly poly kind we already have. I had to hold the toy and my male dog would yank on the very end of the rope and sometimes a treat would fall out, but i had to “reset” the rope each time. They just don’t want to pull very hard or grip with their whole mouth.

Disappointing really, but then again, their favorite “treat dispenser” is the leg of a pair of jeans cut off and tied into a knot, with the treat inside. Believe it or not, they actually untie the knot, rather than rip holes in it. It used to take them about 20 mins per leg, but now my female dog does it in about 3 mins… My male dog likes to chew on a skein of really cheap acrylic yarn, so really, what more could you ask for?

Video of the dogs untying the knots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_agMdNJsDuE

As a practicing veterinarian, if you choose to purchase this sort of toy for your dog, please please please do not leave him/her alone with it! I have had to perform surgery on a number of dogs that have chewed up (and swallowed) significant portions of these rope type toys. The problem is that some dogs will experience an intestinal obstruction after swallowing this sort of filamentous material.

I’ve seen everything from expensive enterotomies to emergency intestinal anastamosis surgeries in septic and otherwise compromised patients resulting from the ingestion of rope type toys.

So, yeah, great fun if you’re going to supervise your pet. Not so good if you’ve got an active chewer, and leave him/her alone with the toy.

1 Like

This is great feedback! Thank you.

Our bichon frise showed his terrier ancestry by “solving” this puzzle through the simple expedient of chewing the neck off the bottle and removing the rope and the food. It only took him 20 minutes. He has since extrapolated this to other bottles, opening things we thought were not accessible to him and drinking them. I wouldn’t recommend it if you have a smart dog.

No worries. The number of things that are sold in your average pet store that look like really cool toys, but could potentially be dangerous is enormous.

And then there are these…

http://www.jc-puppyshop.de/WebRoot/Store/Shops/61060968/5148/7A19/45B6/25E5/AE71/C0A8/29C3/31EE/Safestick.jpg

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.