Unaccompanied women banned from Saudi hospitals

[Permalink]

My translation: “Saudi government would rather half their population die than become even slightly less conservatively polarized”

8 Likes

Sounds a bit nuts to me; inconvenient for the happily married Saudi couples who trust each other - the husband doesn’t actually need to accompany the wife but will be obliged to, thus doubling the inconvenience of a routine visit to the doctors - whilst enabling the men in unhappy relationships to oppress the women. Oh well.

2 Likes

Oh Saudi Arabia! You never stop amusing me with your over the top misogyny.

Sociopaths and demon lords around the world applaud you!

8 Likes

Perhaps they read certain news reports that in some parts of the world even medical professionals in hospitals assist in anally raping patients. Better safe (and have a witness) than sorry.

3 Likes

There goes the hot singles scene at Saudi hospitals.

1 Like

I don’t know whether to laugh at your ingeniousness or scream at how bizarre and yet accurate your juxtaposition is.

2 Likes

So, if a pregnant woman is carrying a male fetus…does that count?

4 Likes

Do female physicians have to be accompanied all day?

1 Like

is ‘Saud’ Arabic for misogynist dickweed?

1 Like

Frank Herbert predicted this in the Dune series. Devout muslims turned in to the Tleilaxu, a race of men who convert all their females in to axlotl tanks to produce clones and such for them, since women are nothing but objects. We’re just watching the beginning of it now.

1 Like

Yeah, just like Marlise Munoz in Texas. Oh wait, that wasn’t Muslims.

3 Likes

Does such a thing exist in Saudi Arabia? As I understand it, they’re not particularly happy with the idea of women working or showing independence of any kind.

Islam is not a monolithic religion.

Well at least they have Planned Parenthood, right?

From the article:

Al-Mubarak said male doctors could conduct medical examinations on female patients only if female physicians are unavailable and only if male guardians accompany them. “Unaccompanied visits to male doctors can have negative implications,” he said.

So is it about always being accompanied or about males viewing female body parts? What happens if there is a catastrophic accident and the woman needs immediate surgery, but is away from her male family and no female physicians are on hand? Is it still considered dirty business?

Sometimes death is preferable to shame in these societies, especially since the shame is shared by the entire family.

What’s the point of living if your value to the family is 0 because you can’t be married off anymore?

They should be ashamed for how they treat women.

“Islamic law does not permit women to visit their doctors without male guardians,” said Qais Al-Mubarak, a member of the Council of Senior Scholars. “Women are prohibited from exposing body parts to male doctors in Islamic law, especially during childbirth. This does not include medical emergencies. Islamic jurisprudence makes exceptions,” he added.

Thanks, buddy. That’s so helpful.

Now we walk along the same street, in red pairs, and no man shouts obscenities at us, speaks to us, touches us. No one whistles. There is more than one kind of freedom, said Aunt Lydia. Freedom to and freedom from. In the days of anarchy, it was freedom to. Now you are being given freedom from. Don't underrate it.
Offred would feel right at home in such a place.
5 Likes

What are your thoughts about extremists, and the human rights violations imposed by them? Is story this an example of that?