United nearly kills shipped dog, refuses to pay vet bills without NDA

Not all airlines allow animals in the cabin, check your airline, ask them if animals are allowed.

That’s the problem. A lot of the international carriers don’t allow pets in the cabin at all. And as other commenters have pointed out, on the airlines that do allow pets in the cabin there’s a size restriction, and a limit of one pet in each cabin section that has a dividing bulkhead.

Shock, horror. They also “ship” people. I used to be pushed onto a plane twice a year to visit my grandparents at the age of about 5. I was never in any danger, because the airline always took care of me on the flight, just like they should have for any other living creature.

1 Like

Oh hai, Barbara.

Thanks. He’s been through therapy and treatment, but there are no ‘reset’ buttons for life. It’s just one of those things you deal with.

If the sensors are broken that’s proof the item was mishandled.

Except, as noted by others, that’s a great idea until you either A: have to travel a really long way land-wise, or B: are traveling over the ocean. I guess you could try and take a boat and then enjoy several weeks of travel in a cramped, awful environment.

Just don’t do it Romney style.

That’s what the blog is about: dealing with it and learning to understand what you can do to make life less scary for your dog (not cure it).

I recently moved cross country with my cat. You’d be surprised how difficult it is to travel with an animal. Amtrak has a no pets policy and so do many airlines. I even considered renting a car just to bring him.

In the end, though, I was surprised to find that Delta Airlines will let you bring a pet right on the plane with you, for a $125 fee, and providing the carrier is small enough to fit under a seat. I went first class just to get extra seat room.

That was a cat, though; most dogs wont fit under a seat. If I had a large dog like the one in this story, I think I’d end up renting a car and driving.

A dog is much easier to take with you on a week long road trip than a cat, though.

If the contract includes that they can’t say anything bad about you, so you can still use them as a positive reference, it may not be a bad agreement at all.

I suspect that the major trick would be figuring out how to produce numbers that both are accurate and are accepted as accurate. The first task, at least, is easier than DIY Geiger-counter work, which is genuinely tricky; and would certainly produce information markedly better than guessing; but if you wanted to lean on an airline or the like, being able to use phrases like “Validated against NIST-Traceable Standards” or “Independently rated as EN12830:1999 conformant” is really handy; but doesn’t do your per-unit costs any good.

If sufficiently common, and free of painfully dumb bugs, they might be able to ignore that problem (after all, we accept things like eyewitness testimony, and we know humans are downright dreadful at that…); but ‘so, um, my tempduino probe…’ is not an authoritative start to a sentence…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.