Video: How Crayola crayons are made

[Permalink]

Really, ‘cranns’? Seems like if you can say ‘Crayola’ you can pronounce ‘cray-on’.

1 Like

Best PicturePicture ever

This was cool, but reminded me of the cheap crayons I sometimes used as a kid. They were blocky and large and never had paper wrappers. You knew what color they were by looking at 'em, and you didn’t need labels. No burnt sienna or sea foam among them. They also melted on hot days. I’d love to see what, in the manufacturing process, distinguishes them from their Crayola counterparts.

1 Like

Even Better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xhbctEcAAA

1 Like

You beat me to it, and yes that one is much better.

1 Like

A tanker of paraffin wax? Why is the wax I buy at the store in a solid block, and the wax at crayola is liquid?

Ah… heated wax of course. Wonder if the manufacturer is local, or if it just retains the heat as it is shipped? I cant imagine the tanker itself is heated?

Ok… so tank cars can be refrigerated or heated, can be insulated, and there are even systems that are at the destination that pump steam into piping within the cars themselves.

Some people pronounce it “crowns.” Confused me so bad as a kid.

When I think about crayons being made, I think of Mr Rogers.

3 Likes

Color me informed.

1 Like

The Sesame Street crayons bit will always be the best because of the wonderful music:

Interesting that its a very similar video to Mr Rogers, but Sesame features the people in the crayon factory to a greater extent,

OK, I do love geeking out on epic manufacturing scale, but there’s not a lot of surprises in this video.

1. Melt wax, add colours
  2. pour in mold
  3. label crayons
  4. ???
  5. Profit.

This screencap looks like the happiest cigarette factory on earth, though:

I think I’ve linked this here before, but I enjoyed it so much that I’ll do it again! NatGeo Lego Factory doco:

Nosiree… not watchin it. Once you see how something’s made, you’ll never want to eat it again.

5 Likes

If you want to know where your good middle class jobs went, watch the old Mr Rogers one then watch today’s version. The dexterity of the humans who used to do that job is incredible, and a joy to watch. It is interesting that some of the same machines seem to be in use in both videos. The machines live on, even after they have pitched the humans out of the loop.

Wonder if Crayola would let me pay extra for crayons made in a factory with humans back in it?

-jeff

You’re right! After I first watched my mom make apple pie, I never ate one again!

I have an old tablet that I need to turn into a Picture Picture

I would say that was a working class job. There’s nothing wrong with being part of the working classes and plenty wrong with the attitudes towards them.

It’s long past time to reclaim the title.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.