Videos of self-destructing washing machines

[Permalink]

And still some people will be surprised when the machines turn on us.

8 Likes

Look like Transformers to me.

With the flimsy power supplies in their control boards, the most common self-destruction is a rather visually unappealing silent going-dead.

Sometimes it goes with more visual and even olfactory effects. I tried to find a photo of one where the controller burnt out and charred the front panel, but could not. So hereā€™s something to make up for it.

5 Likes

The first time I saw this in a forward years ago I clicked on it with an eye roll.
But do clickā€¦
It is like watching watching a galaxy being devoured by a super massive black hole, and the shocking death oscillations are not a sudden thing, it goes on and on.

Itā€™s like watching a device, prone to excessive vibrations, not fitted with a sensor for excessive vibrations.

4 Likes

Previously on BoingBoing:

(Definitely my favorite, though I seem to recall a ā€œdubstep remixā€ one that was up there too.)

1 Like

On a side note, for some reason this vibration-induced self-destruction is apparently called a ā€œHarlem Shakeā€ or ā€œHarlem Shake Danceā€. Donā€™t ask me why.

Yes, the Harlem Shake remix is great.

4 Likes

Is it just me or is the drum trying to make a break for it at the end?

ā€œScrew you, I may finished but Iā€™m taking one of your cars with me!ā€

2 Likes

Iā€™ve heard a cheese pizza in the dryer can be even worse, but I have not personally collected data.

Apparently I suffer from severe anthropomorphism; I couldnā€™t even make it to the two-minute mark of the first video.

Been trying to find a video of something similar they used to do at the VW swap meets. They would take an air-cooled engine with no fan and run it at max throttle until self destruction. It was in a mesh cage to help prevent flying parts from getting very far. You could place a bet on the time it would last. Canā€™t seem to find a video on youtube, but itā€™s been many years since I went to one. Not sure if they still do that sort of thing.

Next time someone drops a pair of pants in the wash without emptying their pockets first, Iā€™m showing them this.

That will just make them laugh.

If you want to make them cry, show them their notes and cash fused together in a pulped mass, after the wash cycle.

1 Like

Oh, I already keep the cash and change :-). Consequences, you know.

1 Like

And wonā€™t we be kicking ourselves when the machines use our own evidence against us at the ā€˜trialsā€™?

1 Like

Isnā€™t it called ā€œtipsā€?

1 Like

Havenā€™t most countries moved to plastic bills by now?
I thought even the US is using them now in the newest issue bills.

AFAIK, not here, and EUR is paper too so far.
From the bigger ones, itā€™s just Australia, Canada and New Zealand.