Vintage photos of women in tiny miniskirts with huge old computers

Yeah that’s the only one that looks kind of WTF. Like, the putty colored computer tells you this is old, the smoking I guess was still ok in advertisements… nah… I swear that looks more like a picture from Hustler or something. She’s just sitting in the middle of a … kitchen? With a stocked bar and a sinkfull of dishes. She’s having a smoke in her tie top and miniskirt in front of what appears to be an unplugged computer? I… I’m lost. If the next shot isn’t involving IT guy sex I’m totally confused what the ad is for.

Aaaaand I did a Google image search on that image… It is indeed from a 1994 Penthouse UK spread (NSFW, obviously)

13 Likes

It was August and it was HOT. I sat down at my kitchen computer to hack into the Pentagon, but for some reason my computer wasn’t firing up today. What to do? I pulled out a cigarette while I pondered a solution. Maybe one day I’ll get around to those dishes.

Gosh it’s hot. I’ll just tie my shirt up a little to catch a breeze. And heck while I’m at it, I’ll grab a scotch.

I press the HELP key on computer and the repair guy is on his way. I guess it could be worst. That guy is as hot as this August. Maybe I’ll just tie this shirt up a little higher and make his day.

(crosses legs) Oh good, he’s here.

13 Likes

Seems pretty clear what this tells us is that the battery packs used to be absolutely ginormous on vibrating butt plugs.

1 Like

Aren’t these mostly the computer operators? I’m thinking of http://thecomputerboys.com/ which goes into some great detail about how computing used to be feminized low-status labor. It’s kind of gross to insist on applying present prejudices (Who does tech? Men do tech. Women next to computers must be there to appeal to men!) to the past. Don’t get me wrong, I adore these photos and they’re exactly the kind of oddball stuff I come to BB for! But I wish the intro paragraphs would be re-written…

2 Likes

Computing became a male dominated field. It din’t start out that way.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m glad other people are saying the same thing, because I didn’t want to stroll in, be the dude saying, “Hey, aren’t we applying modern standards and social norms to the past?”

And I’ll agree, some of those skirts are really super tame, even by modern standards. They could be worse…

On multiple episodes, you get to see that the women are wearing some sort of bloomers that are the same color as their uniform. You get to see it because the skirts are so teeny-tiny. I retroactively feel bad for Nichelle Nichols and Grace Lee Whitney.

Bonus Star Trek skirt shot:

3 Likes

I don’t have a copy handy, but there exists a photo of my dad as a student worker in his university’s computer center in the 70’s… featuring long hair and flared-leg pants and with his feet up on the desk like an asshole teenager. My mom claims he was quite a babe, though she’s not exactly the most unbiased of sources.

The university pulled it out for his retirement party 40+ years later, after he had worked his way up to being director of multiple datacenters and all campus technology infrastructure.

I’m sure they all got what they wanted . . . in the end.

While those pics are interesting, I really want to see the wizard painted on the van that one of those two guys in the first photo have.

1 Like

34 photos, eh? I see what you did there.

3 Likes

'nuf said?

Car batteries have not changed their form-factor much, over the years.

I think it’s a giant promo-mockup of a thermometer?

Those switches are too big for a real device – they’re “enlarged to show texture” or something…

1 Like

Not only vintage. Take a look at this slide I just saw in a presentation for a “greenish” Hadoop vendor. (uops, can’t upload, but it is a cute girl behind a server rack).

You wanna go to the moon, Alice?

MESSAGE ENDS.

perhaps the photo was too sexist for the bbs.

2 Likes

It isn’t easy to get started in free-lance programming; don’t get me wrong. But I know of no other job that can be so easily satisfying to a girl with a logical mind, that can pay her so well, and still keep her close to her family.

– Agnes Bodony, quoted in Your Career in Computer Programming, I.J. Seligsohn, 1967

Agnes Bodony started as a keypunch operator, advanced to systems programmer, and eventually ended up starting her own freelance programming business.

If you look, there are lots of pictures of people working at computers dating back to the late '50s and early '60s that include women — not models, but the women who actually worked with the computers. They’re apparently not included in this article because they they were too early for tiny miniskirts.

Consider, f’rex, this hiistory of the Univac 1 Computer. Notice how many women there are. Here’s one, Joneal Williams-Daw, at the operator’s console:

But it’s still the '50s, so she’s not wearing a miniskirt.

7 Likes

This over scale HP 970A multimeter, not a computer:
http://www.decodesystems.com/wanted.html#hp970a

2 Likes

I’m too sexist for my love
Too sexist for my love
Love’s going to leave me

I’m too sexist for my shirt
Too sexist for my shirt
So sexist it hurts
And I’m too sexist for Milan
Too sexist for Milan