WATCH: Police hose down crowd of sports fans with pepper spray and tear gas

The risk to officers was real? Well, yeah, but not innate to the mob itself. It’s a result of the police showing up looking like the national guard, at Kent State

And yeah. I said that.

8 Likes

How do they manage to round up so many morons and then persuade them to join the Police?

3 Likes

In the context of a publicly accessible forum, what does elitism constitute?

Newsflash: 3 million people hit the streets in France, and many more in other towns across Europe to protest and make their voices heard in the past few days. Nobody got pepper spayed or shot as a result.

Not even from the terrorists we are all supposed to be so afraid of these days, and certainly not from the police.

I think its really significant to compare the response of a broad cross section of Europeans to recent events in and around Paris to the paralysis and fear that seems to dominate the dialog on the real decline of civil liberties that has been going on lately.across the Atlantic. Its terribly sad, mostly.

1 Like

To be fair, the liberties are still here. But the pushback from the executive since… 2001 or so… is pretty unacceptable.

1 Like

welcome to the new amerika - you have no rights. its for safety. cmon, at least it proves the police force does not JUST hose down people of color.

yeah, Kent State. - history? - we have learned NOTHING

Sending in a militarized force only and always results in escalation.

1 Like

The more conspiratorial-leaning side of my brain keeps revisiting this fact. With the timing and everything, it’s almost as is police management across the country said to themselves, “We’re getting accused of two things here, boys, on the one hand, inappropriate use of force, disregard for our commitment to the citizenry and militarism, and on the other hand racism. We can do one of two things, start trying to spread out our use of force to appear less racist, or be less violent. Let’s see hands for option number one…”

I’m guessing it was a close vote, with no one leaving happy that day…

3 Likes

No one boards up shop windows around here when OSU comes to the Big House. To me, this suggests that there is a serious cultural problem among the student population at OSU.

Translation:

I don’t know how to use google

Goal post torn down, 89 fires set after Ohio State’s national title win

Columbus Police Chief Kim Jacobs said officers tried to use as little
force as possible to control those celebrating. She said repeated
requests for people to clear the streets were ignored and fire trucks
couldn’t get through the crowds to respond to fires.

1. that wasn’t in the video _which surely showed the entirety of the celebration, right?!?
  2. Police Chief, so YMMV

Penn State students rioted, overturning news vehicles when Joe Paterno was let go (for not doing enough to get rid of a child-rapist). They didn’t riot after a win or loss, they rioted to defend defenders of child-rapists.

College Sports fans are just as much violent, destructive assholes as pro-sports fans.

You never see this happening after the senior art shows, or music recitals.

Come to think of it, you never see stadiums built for the music recitals either. Hunh. Why is that?

3 Likes

A chemical attack is not a proportioned response to 5 small and controlled fires. The handful of dumpster fires and two burning couches represented no real threat to the community and police failed to stop anyone setting fires and failed to bring those responsible to justice. An indiscriminate chemical attack on anyone standing out doors in response to fires set by a very small number of drunkards and rabble-rousers is criminally insane.

The police here see anyone out of doors as responsible for those 5 little fires so they took the law in to their own hand and decided to hand out punishment to everyone. That’s an easier strategy than doing the actual police work of tracking down and arresting the people who started fires or committed crimes. Actual police work is hard and these thugs just want to hurt people and blame the public.

As far as the large supporting demographic, you mention, I’d submit that no matter how many people support unprovoked chemical attacks on citizens in the street, it’s still wrong.

3 Likes

Eh, 5 fires, ±84. I guess that’s a reasonable margin-of-error these days.

Goal post torn down, 89 fires set after Ohio State’s national title win

Well… the police usually do take the law into their own hands. … That’s what they’re there for? Policing? “Taking the law into their own hand[s]” usually applies to vigilantes. You know, not cops.

The tear-gas and pepper-spray was not “punishment” for the fires, it was a crowd-control tactic to clear streets of people who had refused to clear the streets so the 5±84 fires could be dealt with.

So is using google, apparently.

The tear-gas and pepper-spray has as much in common with “a chemical attack” as the post-game activities had with “party”.

I’m just using the numbers from the cleaveland.com report. But the report you link says 89 so let’s go with that. 89 dumpster and trashcan fires with a handful of couch fires. 3 injured the report says. I still see no actual threat to the community. Put the fires out, arrest those responsible… That’s what the police are for. They should not be attacking innocent celebrants for the crime of being out doors.

No, police aren’t supposed to take the law in to their own hands and deal out punishment. They are supposed to arrest those committing crimes and present them to a court where the courts will determine if someone is guilty or innocent. Or did the rules change when we weren’t looking?

Google can be very difficult. It’s true. For example, the United States is a member and signor of the Chemical Weapons Convention of 1993 which defines tear gas as a chemical weapon.

1 Like

Damn, they even look like metrocops now…

1 Like

Man, White people sure love to riot celebrate their sports victories. And pumpkins.

1 Like

Hrm, using those canister type pepper sprays at point blank range on students who are already disabled by pepper spray… pretty sure the courts have already ruled on this one. There really is no effective check on the use of force by police officers.

Do you feel that way? I don’t see how. Videos are not honest or dishonest for one thing, that might be why you are confused about my statement. I see you are new here. Let me point out that “NotAllCops” is not a valid viewpoint when discussing any failings of any police. Now you know, I’ll leave the googling, or searching BB’s forum, to find the why of it.

No amount of failing to control the crowd justified what was on the video, whether or not there are good police justifies precisely nothing.

Oh yes, there’s definitely a big cultural difference between the students at UofM and those at tOSU. I’ve spent time on both campuses and have noticed more drunk fights and girls getting groped in Columbus. I’m sure it happens at Ann Arbor as well, but probably not as often. No offense to fellow Buckeyes out there, it’s just my observation.

except for this under “9. “Purposes Not Prohibited Under this Convention” means:”

“(d) Law enforcement including domestic riot control purposes.”

So it is a chemical weapon but only when someone in power decides it is. HOORAY! the system works! (/sarcasm)

2 Likes

awesome. I know this emoji is for praying, but I’m going to use it to give you a high five.

:wave: :raised_hands: :open_hands: :pray:

Why do masses of people need to be “controlled”? Do these taxpayers pay those police to tell them how they need to use public space? Would you pepperspray your boss for having a party at the office?