Why Downey walked off during that interview

I’m neither an expert in psychology nor an expert on internet behaviour, but allow me to respond with what I think are some moderate observations. The problem here is that by calling someone a troll, whether or not their engagement is in ‘good-faith’ – which, by the way, is pretty loaded as a concept by itself, and properly deserves an essay or two on its own, but I digress – we are reducing their motivations and the set of possible responses and interpretations to/of their actions to a binary. A person is a) someone engaged in good-faith dialogue/debate, or b) a bad-faith troll. This dichotomy affords very little by way of gradation. Which extreme should I select when identifying someone I am speaking to? At what point are my own interactions spontaneously transformed into trollishness? Is there a specific crossing point, maybe marked by doggedness or malice, wherein I become a pure vehicle of antagonism?

Now I’m aware there are many people online who, if one was able to perform a thorough psychological evaluation on them, would likely exhibit all manner of psychopathic and anti-social tendencies. There are misogynists, bigots, homophobes, racists, fundamentalists, and all manner of zealots and ideologues. I won’t deny any of this for a minute. But are we talking here about people who are antithetical to our world views, or people who are intentionally abusive and willfully contradictory? If we are attempting to understand people, can we admit of some additional categories of behaviour, some possible alternative motivations beyond malevolent baiting?

When I ask for sophistication it is with an aim towards deeper understanding. What really motivates people towards violence in online communication? I’ve no interest in defending anyone’s actions here. I just want a better rubric for describing behaviour and intention. A non-dualistic one, preferably. Even psychopathy and sociopathy can be described as spectrums: why not also trollish behaviour? What about possibilities for false-positives in our dismissing potential trolls? What if someone was simply confused, or incapable of articulating themselves? What if they suffered from a mental disorder than could be identified and positively addressed, enabling said person to transform their behaviours and begin contributing meaningfully to the community? Or any number of alternate possibilities?

I think at heart what I am saying is that the social apparatus you implement for controlling people’s behaviour permits two modes of interaction, positive or negative, and rigidly defines where one begins and the other ends. You define a subset of valid human behaviours and rigidly enforce those, a kind of benevolent dictatorship. At the end of the day yes, you may observe an overall increase in the civility of people’s interactions, but have you really gained insight into what motivates people?

I think it can be quite clear if you observe people’s actions over a period of time. Everyone has a bad day. But for some people, every day is a bad day.

“you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you’re the asshole.”

I am a big fan of observing people over time and seeing patterns of behavior emerge. Nobody should be judged to be engaging in bad faith solely on the basis of one post. But sometimes it can be very clear even in a single post…

Do you think this person is worth responding to? All I want to do is delete their post… or flag it, if I can’t do that.

Well, he’s deflecting left and right and all in all his comment is super boring and not worthy of a response outside of a few hilarious gifs, but that doesn’t mean he’s a “troll”. But I can’t seem to get that worked up about anything in this comment because while it’s totally self-centered and makes little sense, it’s not really hateful (especially taken out of context). It’s also not quite a murph.

Maybe I’m a little jaded, but this is a weak example imo. Like, my eyes glazed over halfway through reading it, sure, but other than that. Meh.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.