1,500 pounds of dynamite make quick work of these cooling towers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/19/1500-pounds-of-dynamitell.html

6 Likes

Sprinklers (near treeline) for dust remediation?

4 Likes

Very satisfying. Thank you.

4 Likes

New item for my wishlist:

Time on target coordination for one of the really big fire-fighting airtankers doing a water drop.

1 Like

Always fun to watch things blowing up.
Although my favourite is John Lenahan’s version…

8 Likes

Aaaaugh you made me click on an RT link! Grrr.

2 Likes

Nicely done, kudos!

Hm, couldn’t the cooling towers be reused without having to blow them up? Either way can’t say i didn’t enjoy the vid [:

1 Like

28 Likes

Thank you I came here looking for this gif

2 Likes

Yes:

https://www.wunderlandkalkar.eu/en

6 Likes

Yeah i’d heard of similar structures being reused, i suppose if no one pops up that is interested in repurposing them then it’d make sense to demo them though seems like a waste.

1 Like

Indeed, here’s to our 2nd favorite propaganda mill.

Is there a word for when something like that briefly appears to be a liquid? There’s a point where it is holding its shape generally but also moving in a wave. Pretty cool.

Also F RT.

2 Likes

For example, you could film a sequel to The Abyss in one.

2 Likes

Depends on the properties and behavior of the material. Liquefaction is a term for soil/dirt.sand briefly behaving like a liquid during earthquakes or when air is pumped through it from the bottom. Non-newtonian liquid is a term for: “fluid whose viscosity is variable based on applied stress or force”. You also have materials like glass that appear to be solid but actually behave like liquids over long enough time scales, also known as amorphous solids.

Not really answering your question but its the best i can do :stuck_out_tongue: Something-something harmonic frequency? I dunno.

Just letting them stand and have nature reclaim them, slowly turning them into ruins, could look nice.

Awesome?

In this case it’s the concrete cracked, but held in place by the rebar for a bit, the rebar bending.
It’s basically like a giant bell struck by a giant clapper.

It’s cool I don’t know anything about science so you can just make shit up.

2 Likes

Exactly. Thirty years ago, I watched a controlled building implosion early one morning in Norfolk, VA, from the perimeter set about a block away. The thing collapsed beautifully, and then came the rolling concrete and who knows what else dust cloud. We all retreated quickly.

Buildings in the surrounding area all turned on their grass sprinklers just as the implosion ended, to help with the dust cloud.

1 Like