Popping a balloon in a nuclear power plant's cooling tower

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/01/popping-a-balloon-in-a-nuclear.html

7 Likes

♫ For who grew up tall and proud
In the shadow of the Mushroom Cloud
Convinced our voices can’t be heard
We just wanna scream it louder and louder and louder ♬

13 Likes

Sounds loud, better put on some ear protection.

brazil%2015

17 Likes

Think this might have been on here at some point? Thunderpussy filmed a video in the same cooling tower.

12 Likes

Reminds me of the echo chamber at the embassy of Canada in Washington, DC.

Little publicized, worth the detour if your already walking around the mall and various museums, archives and what not.

4 Likes

I saw Sonic Youth in a place like that, at least (ahem) sonically.

3 Likes

There’s the stuff there.

1 Like
  1. What would it sound like trying to sing something like Avia Maria?

2. Can someone explain to me how cooling towers are supposed to work. Or do I gotta go look it up.

2 Likes

We built an echo chamber in Washington DC? Talk about redundant!

17 Likes

I’d like to applaud the uploaders for keeping this video brief.

I was expecting one of those videos that starts with a tease then proceeds to give us minutes of setup and explanation. Finishing with the balloon popping from every different angle and varying degrees of slow motion.

I wanted a balloon popping and i got just that. Bravo! :clap:

20 Likes

Stupid Amazon naming their product “echo” totally messes up searches for the phenomenon of repeatedly reflected sound waves.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Energy Factory

https://www.wunderlandkalkar.eu/en

Fries, ice cream and soft drinks included

4 Likes
1 Like

That reverb tank is pretty, pretty big.

3 Likes
  1. No idea

2. Essentially, hot water in a puddle at the bottom, air gap at the base lets in a breeze, draws like a chimney, big cooling cloud of steam the top.
    If you stand between a bunch of those towers it is REALLY windy, thanks to the towers drawing up air.
    (I am not a real scientist, but lived near a power station.)

10 Likes

That was unexpectedly thunderous!

*waits for That’s what she said…

3 Likes

Probably several billion (in 1983 $) went into that structure…

1 Like

Those towers were part of a mismanaged project called the Washington Public Power Supply System (WPPSS), which lead to a massive bond default. After the default, the project’s initialism became an acronym, pronounced “whoops.” Back in the 70s, that was considered funny.

https://www.historylink.org/File/5482

6 Likes

What came to mind when I read the title

6 Likes

Wow, what an opportunity for an other-world Kenny Kramer type to host a reality tour of Earth, where in a few decades after Homo sapiens out-sapiens itself from existence either due to nuclear annihilation, influenza pandemic, robot-pocalypse (or pick your favorite existential threat), other planetary denizens can be entertained by fascinating remnants of human culture and technology.

2 Likes