Popping a balloon in a nuclear power plant's cooling tower

The lab is built in a nuclear power plant that was abandoned a few weeks before it received its first uranium.

I couldn’t help but think of SNL and “The Pepsi Syndrome.”

1 Like

com-optimize

5 Likes

tenor

2 Likes

Audio Ease sells impulse responses that include exactly this location. So you can set up Altiverb (or any convolution reverb) to sound like this.

1 Like

I was involved in an art project there a few years back. I built and installed a shishi-odoshi in the center of the other, completed cooling tower (the one in the ballon video never got its floor). The floor (catwalks surrounded by a plastic matrix) is about 55’ from the ground, over the pool of water that connected to the reactor. It was a very strange experience working in there. Any time you sniffed or moved or made even the tiniest sound, the sound would come echoing back at you.

shishi-odoshi1 copy2.m4v (2.4 MB)

the full project video Echo at Satsop - https://vimeo.com/85007135

eta: Satsop is also home to the largest quiet room in the world, which i believe is inside the reactor chamber - http://www.nwaalabs.com

9 Likes

That was beautiful.

3 Likes

This is genuinely lovely, thank you for sharing this!

1 Like

Hmm. I always assumed they had some sort of coil in the walls filled with water, but it’s just on the floor, huh? I guess that makes more sense from an engineering perspective as your description would be less failure-prone.

1 Like

Details vary (mainly whether the draft is assisted by fans powered either from the thermal gradient or directly form the generators), but the basic idea is just as simple as it looks.

The hyperboliod shape channels the rising steam, displacing the cooler air above, and then wafts off into the slightly cooler higher air above the infrared emitter that is the ground, allowing it to be carried away. Think of it as a gigantic Glencairn glass. The hyperboliod shape serves two purposes. It’s sturdier than a simple cylinder (in the same was a dome or arch is self-reinforcing) and it concentrates the water vapor for evaporation, increasing the humidity gradient at the top.

3 Likes

Hyperboloid cooling towers are ingeniously simple and efficient.
Just do not build them too close to each other. And check your math.

1 Like

Obligs…

tumblr_mr2gyljZ7A1sppmago1_400

Oh, and @Mister44, I forgot to mention that the narrower opening helps to prevent the steam from just circulating back down as it cools.

7 Likes

Huh, you had to go and use all the proper sciencey words, didn’t ya!?

:wink:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.