Ten minutes of collapsing water towers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/17/ten-minutes-of-collapsing-wate.html

4 Likes

I liked the part where the tower fell over.

5 Likes

“Oh, there it goes, there it goes!”

6 Likes

A few of the older ones look so pitiful and defeated after they fall, because of how their legs are crumpled and they are lying there like a dead animal that got shot out of the sky. :sweat:

Yes, I just empathized with giant empty metal tanks.

14 Likes

Save Ferris

7 Likes

Likewise, but at the same time, there’s something wonderfully undramatic about these. You could feel pity, or you could imagine the tower saying “alright, job done. I’m just going to have a bit of a lie down now, if you don’t mind too much. Been standing there a long while.” (Apparently, in my head all water towers are English)

7 Likes

[Bookmarked]

1 Like

Me too.

Or that it was the end of a Martian invasion.

10 Likes

Appropriate Book Quote:
Lennie said, “I thought you was mad at me, George.”
“No,” said George. “No, Lennie. I ain’t mad. I never been mad, an’ I ain’t now. That’s a thing I want ya to know.”
The voices came close now. George raised the gun and listened to the voices.
Lennie begged, “Le’s do it now. Le’s get that place now.”
“Sure, right now. I gotta. We gotta.”
And George raised the gun and steadied it, and he brought the muzzle of it close to the back of Lennie’s head. The hand shook violently, but his face set and his hand steadied. He pulled the trigger. The crash of the shot rolled up the hills and rolled down again. Lennie jarred, and then settled slowly forward to the sand, and he lay without quivering.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s right. I recently turned 50.

3 Likes

Well done, O ye my brethren and cistern!

7 Likes

Anyone else disappointed they were all empty?

3 Likes

“Here it goes!”
There is something oddly satisfying and calming about this. Can anybody explain why that is?

Yes, this vid sums it up nicely.

1 Like

Love the clouds of red dust billowing out as they hit the ground, like one last rusty exhale.

3 Likes

Water tower pinata. There should be candies.

1 Like

So is the water tower party over now? I’m not sure I had a chance to commemorate the end of the era.

1 Like

My first thought: “They’re all empty! Where’s the fun in that?”

1 Like

NO SHIELDS!

There are five large vessels at my site, side by side, and identical except for size (small to large). They’re know as the ‘five sisters’. One day I called them the ‘five cisterns’… and the crowd looked at me like I was an idiot. The fools!

1 Like

The last few seconds in the life of the world’s second largest electrolytic capacitor.

megacaphecep