10 killed in Dayton mass shooting

There is no difference between these white supremacist terrorists and ISIS. They are a greater threat and America needs to deal with them that way.

Trump and McConnell are failures. They are responsible for this.

7 Likes

I own guns. I have a concealed weapons permit. I really value individual rights like the second amendment.

But you can’t see this and not admit there is a big, big problem in the United States with gun violence. It’s so obvious, it’s ridiculous that anyone can deny it, but most of my friends take a cue from the NRA and just recycle their talking points.

Most of these open carry cowboys that think they would be a hero in a mass shooting situation have never actually been in a gun fight. They don’t realize how confusing and scary it is. You’re a lot more likely to shoot an innocent person by mistake.

We’re in a sad place in the U.S. right now. Scary.

25 Likes

It’s a morbid thought, but we should keep a comparison count of ISIS vs Domestic Terrorists, in deaths of American / American soil civilians.

Do you realise that you are part of the problem?

5 Likes

I disagree with that assessment.

The first step here is gun-owners realizing that proliferation of firearms is an issue. I applaud anyone willing to say “I’m a gun owner and even I can see things need to change”.

33 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Right-wing gaming

A few years ago, I read this

and now I re-read it once a year.
So much is packed into that book.
I learned a lot.

… Assata Shakur, for one.

Respect.

7 Likes

Perhaps, and I will grant it’s a lot better than “nothing to see here, move along.” But what he wrote appears - to me - to be a VERY short step from “I am a good guy with a gun.”

Checklist:

• owns guns
  • has concealed carry permit (who the fuck needs that?)
  • really values 2A

He did not round off his post with “… and here’s what I am going to do about it.” Instead it reads more like “I’m alright, it’s all you other crazies who’ll have to change.”

5 Likes

image https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/John_Carlos%2C_Tommie_Smith%2C_Peter_Norman_1968cr.jpg/220px-John_Carlos%2C_Tommie_Smith%2C_Peter_Norman_1968cr.jpg

11 Likes

What are you doing to change the situation?

9 Likes

Does that matter? If I am a responsible gun owner, and I see that my hobby is causing easy access and proliferation of weapons to those that will use them irresponsibly, and understand that there’s a need to change, then I get to be a part of the solution, even if folks want to shoehorn me into the same group as irresponsible gun-owners.

The thing is, gun owners who do not want change, thereby causing a proliferation of easy-to-access weaponry everywhere, are “irresponsible gun-owners”, AFAIAC.

Proliferation of weapons continues apace because “responsible gun owners” are pushing for them to continue to be easy to acquire, lest their hobby be infringed. the “unintended consequence” of that policy is about one mass-shooting a day.

IMHO, you fix that with actual responsible gun owners saying “Ok, this isn’t working”, and I applaud that mindset.

14 Likes

It does matter, because everyone is a Responsible Firearms Owner. Until they aren’t.

We are going through the same debate here, and many of our Responsible Firearms Owners are whining “It wasn’t me that shot up those mosques, why should I lose my firearms?” They’re getting no sympathy from me. Either help in the full recognition that you will be affected too, or just shut up and get out of the way.

10 Likes

This was America before Trump, he is a symptom. He is not the disease. Yes, we need to be rid of him, but that is only a bare beginning. This is a war, I’m just not certain we realize it yet. They certainly do.

14 Likes

The journey of 10,000 miles begins with a single step. I’m of the mindset that we need to embrace people who take that step (and push when needed, to keep them moving in the right direction.)

9 Likes

I’m going to have to side with @orenwolf on this one. Given how many Americans own guns, it will be a legislative impossibility to make any meaningful changes unless at least some gun owners are on board.

Luckily even a majority of gun owners (including NRA members!) support stricter gun control measures than we have now, including universal background checks for all sales. That alone isn’t enough to get us where we need to be but it would be a start.

16 Likes

“Ice Ice Baby” (“ice” as in ICE) is already their anthem.

Shane Ryan Sealy, 34, was charged with menacing and reckless endangerment Saturday after pulling a gun on protestors gathered in a Huntsville, Alabama park to support immigrants. He shouted “Womp womp” and sang “Ice Ice Baby” to little attention before pulling out the gun. He was then chased off by those he sought to intimidate, according to reports.

13 Likes

That is not what the OP said. They said 1) they are a firearms owner and 2) that things need to change. IMHO, such folks are, in fact, the opposite of the individuals you’re mentioning are saying.

Trying to approach this issue in such a way that “if you are a firearms owner, you are simply an impediment to gun control” is probably a literal right-wing talking point in how they frame the discussion on firearms regulation. This problem is solved more easily when you involve actual users of firearms, and alienating those who want to be part of the solution helps no one, AFAIAC, except the right-wing bloviators who are repeating “Libruls don’t want to talk, don’t want to understand, they just want to take away all guns, period”.

My hobby of racing cars extremely quickly and dangerously is heavily regulated. Racetracks and Autocross courses exist so that I can explore my hobby safely. The vehicles I use to do so have to be put on a trailer to travel on the road. They are illegal to drive there. In some countries, GPS is used to limit vehicle speeds unless you are on a racetrack or private property.

These sorts of regulations exist because those interested in driving cars ludicrously fast and twistily worked with regulators to find solutions that don’t result in 1) people getting killed on streets and 2) irresponsible people having access to dangerous vehicles, or the right to drive them irresponsibly on the street.

Anyway, this is very quickly going to derail the topic. I disagree with your position that gun owners who understand the need for change are a net-negative.

22 Likes

Well you’re entitled to your opinion, of course. And I honestly don’t know how to fix the problem other than to just go full Australia.

One of the issues with that approach is the massive proliferation of firearms in the U.S… Lawful gun owners may voluntarily turn in their weapons, but there would be so many left, with a majority of them being untraceable and in the hands of a bad element. People who value their autonomy from the government would rightly be chuffed. I realize that’s a hard idea for some people to wrap their heads around. Long guns are still very necessary for people who own large tracts of land and raise livestock, and for hunters who prefer to get their own meat.

I would be in favor of outlawing handguns and extended magazines for rifles. Again you’d have the problem of so many just physically existing already, but it would be a huge step in the right direction.

8 Likes

I didn’t say anything of the sort, but I’m not going to give him a cookie either. Especially after that last post.

1 Like

The sooner we start, the sooner we reach a point where this shit doesn’t happen every day. Then maybe we can draw it down to less than one every 2 days! That would seem like nirvana.

8 Likes