10 year anniversary remix of Rebecca Black's "Friday”

The only remix we need.

3 Likes

Huh. There is a car-thief hardcore mix, but no gabber:

Seems Smurf did a dubstep one (to which I SHALL not link). Bad Glenn! No cookie for you!

1 Like

Still the best cover, Meat Loaf style:

4 Likes

This was the best cover. Paul and Storm, feat James Urbaniak with special guest appearance by Wil Wheaton.

1 Like

Wait, so she didn’t release this on, you know, Friday??

3 Likes

Big freedia AND Dorian Electra. Obsessed with both of them. Seems even two draws isn’t enough to save it.

Came here for this. Left satisfied.

1 Like

Best thing that came out of “Friday” was “Gang Fight” which launched the YouTube career of Bad Lip Reading. So it was worth it.

2 Likes

Is my interpretation of this as just Black having some self-aware fun in a deliberately over-the-top self parody on the ten-year anniversary of what must have been a powerful formative experience wrong? 'Cuz to me this whole thing screams “meta irony.” I’m cool with it.

5 Likes

I say good for her for embracing her fame/infamy around this song and not letting the haters drag her down. I hope she’s living her authentic life.

2 Likes

I don’t wish her ill, at all but the fame was never unwanted.
If fact she courted it and courted it hard.
I only remember Friday because my kids were young at time and liked it, until it became uncool, then they hated it like kids do.
I couldn’t understand how anyone could have a strong opinion about something so bland and uninteresting.

My first thought on watching this video was, is that fucking gabber? I think it already is gabber.

Second thought: Holy crap is that a Buick Reatta? Yes, it is, and there’s the crazy green-screen CRT touchscreen info panel. I knew the 80s were big, but even Reattas?

Actually my first thought was, “sitting in the back seat” doesn’t work so well when both cars in the video are two seaters.

If this ends up as the new viral Sea Shanty I want off this planet.

2 Likes

Oh man, I forgot about that cover. I think it was someone here that described the two versions (original and this one) as the original being what you expect high school to be like and Matt Mulholland’s version being what high school is really like.

I also forgot about what an amazing cultural thing Friday was. Man, I can’t believe it’s been ten years. My favorite version:

Bonus is that it’s about 1/3 the length of the original.

I love how he turned it into a downtempo dirge.

I don’t care - it’s still an earworm and I enjoy it!

As much as I love Leo Moracchioli, he didn’t particularly reharmonize it, so it ends up sounding like shitty punk pop with a metal breakdown instead of a bridge. He didn’t go far enough with it. Kicking it to a minor key or an even more dissonant mode would have helped. Dialing up the aggression and dissonance would have helped. A good way to do all that would have been to rewrite it into a totally different style. Tech Death, Djent or Black Metal would all have been good candidates for this (and he kinda went there with the outro). The other interesting way to go might have been to dial down the aggression and make it super sludgy, droney doom metal.

The 10 year anniversary remix is in a similarly terrible spot. It’s too frenetic-yet-mediocre for most listeners, and it’s nowhere near abrasive enough for people with a taste for more aggressive, experimental music.

Ok. Ok. I’m going back to unironically listening to Neckbeard Deathcamp now.

2 Likes

Missed it ten years ago. Still every silver lining has a cloud.

My favorite Dick Cheese is:

2 Likes

Part of the problem is the parents.

Dad is a veterinarian here in the OC, and I’ve spoken to a lot of his ex-clients who swore up and down that he was doing a lot of shady things to pad the invoice to fund her early “career” (like buying the billboard etc…). Think stereotypical “Hollywood Mom”…