100 bold ideas the BBC can use to fight back

[Read the post]

Are any of the suggestions ā€œreferring to David Cameron as the ā€˜right-wing Prime
Ministerā€™
ā€?

Replace BBC America with an option for viewers outside of the UK to purchase subscriptions?

3 Likes

Well IHMO TV in the UK and not just the BBC has been deteriorating for at least a decade or two now. To quote one famous comedian; ā€œMy TV guide looks like the entertaimment guide on a ******* cruise liner!ā€. And me personally I think heā€™s correct ā€“ thereā€™s an awful lot of dross on TV over here in the UK right now.

As to where it started? One of the biggest causes was the misguided thatcher legislation of the late '80s/early 90s, that turned ITV franchies into little more than auctions. Bid the highest amount and ā€œpromiseā€ quality and you got your franchise. Unless of course the politicians in question back then didnā€™t like you, then you didnā€™t get your franchise (see: Thames TV and ā€œDeath on the rockā€).

That legislation also helped to kill regionality (we have, or used to have regional based TV shows here in the UK far more than we do now). It also replaced people who actually knew something about making TV shows with mere bean-counters.

How did that affect the BBC? Well that legislation had consequences far beyond its original remit; in the end it was a step to making programming just to chase ratings and money - which eventually every TV comapny decided to do. You can almost see this happening in the late 90s too when TV for want of a better term ā€œmelted down and reformedā€ into something much more commercial.

As to what the BBC could do? Iā€™m not sure right now - probably with the way things are I doubt thereā€™s even 10 things they could do let alone 100. But for sure and this wouldnā€™t be the BBCā€™s responsibility but for sure reversing insane government legislation would be a good step in the right direction.

ljones

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.